BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Version Control / Site sync

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveinmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Version Control / Site sync
    Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 1:12pm
Greetings,

I just started using openElement about 2 weeks ago, it is an amazing product!   One feature request (maybe its 2) is Version control or Site Sync.

I realize that I can do an import or recovery, for the site sync idea; but version control would be nice if multiple people are working on the same site/page/code/etc.

My thought comes about because I work on my website from multiple machines, and ensuring that I have the newest version on the machine I log into is kind of a pain at the moment.  It would be nice if I could click a button that logs into my Site, and does a file size/date check against the machine I'm on and the Live site.

For now I use a 3rd party app to copy the files back and forth, but if it's possible, this would make life for mobile users much easier.

Thank you for creating such an Awesome product!
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2016 at 1:16pm
Hi,

Usually Dropbox is used to handle multi-user or multi-machine cases, it is good for synchronising (it only transfers changes, not entire files when there's no need). It is the best known solution for several persons to work on the same OE project (same page shouldn't be accessed by several persons, normally OE blocks that automatically).
daveinmn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveinmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2016 at 7:02pm
Thank you for the response.

A T M I'm using Logmein.com to transfer files to and from each computer.  Same premise as Dropbox but I'm assuming you might be using the Dropbox folder as your site folder?  That's actually not a bad idea since there's the local folder, then the cloud to sync between the two machines.  Pretty smart!

Thanks!

David
There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2016 at 9:55pm
You put your project folder into the Dropbox folder and share it with others, that's all there is to do.. And it's tested as many OE users work like this (including ourselves).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic