BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Websites Created with OpenElement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy New Website Using OE & Sensode Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 5:40pm
The best way for images is to use OE's interface to erase the existing one, save the project and re-insert the image in the project.  Publish the whole site after that.
digizar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Hobby001 Hobby001 wrote:

The best way for images is to use OE's interface to erase the existing one, save the project and re-insert the image in the project.  Publish the whole site after that.
Yes, that is exactly what I learned at the beginning. I kept wondering why these damn images did not appear online. Unhappy Cool
No problem anymore once one understands, that everything has to go via the CMS.
I guess, that favicon was not 'included' via OE.
One has to be 'iserterted' in the resources
(add to desired container > resources ... Other - for *.ico). And then to be used/invoced from there.
Do not access any image/object directly from somewhere outside of OE; it will not be uploaded to the server.

With ONE exception:
Do not even think to delete a folder via OE. To get rid of a folder, save & leave the project, delete the folder manually with the windows explorer. Then restart the project. That folder does not appear anymore.
If you delete that folder via OE, it will destroy the project, and can not be recovered.

Edited by digizar - Jan 01 2021 at 7:16pm
Captain_Bigzy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by digizar digizar wrote:

Originally posted by Hobby001 Hobby001 wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I learned at the beginning. I kept wondering why these damn images did not appear online. Unhappy Cool
No problem anymore once one understands, that everything has to go via the CMS.
I guess, that favicon was not 'included' via OE.

With ONE exception:
Do not even think to delete a folder via OE. To get rid of a folder, save & leave the project, delete the folder manually with the windows explorer. Then restart the project. That folder does not appear anymore.
If you delete that folder via OE, it will destroy the project, and can not be recovered.

I understand what you mean by deleting existing image then adding the new one thats exactly what I have been doing, didnt know about deleting folders via OE could destroy your project...  Thats not good but I do try to keep a few backups of the full project.

Also I did add the favicon directly in OE using the FavIcon button in OE so not sure where your going with that, I added it as expected but although the favicon.ico uploaded via publish in the "Other" folder there was one in the main root of project called favicon.oe.ico and that was what I noticed missing from the webserver root so i uploaded that and refreshed my browser and it worked fine.

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 7:32pm
In fact, sometimes new users went directly to the project folders to delete files or directory using Windows Explorer.  Others used it to replace images within the \Files\Image folder.

These manipulation are prohibited if you want to stay away from isses with the project.

When you add an image or an icon to be used by any of OE's function or  element you must use OE's interface.

Sometimes you need to publish the whole site to implement these changes.  In worst cases, you need to delete the site from the server prior to publish it.

In more complex cases you may have to manually add folders and code to OE such as in this example using nanogallery2: https://denislafrance.net/nanogallery2/nanogallery.htm . There are ways to use third party code but they have to be published using things like FileZilla.

Edited by Hobby001 - Jan 01 2021 at 7:34pm
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 8:32pm
Yea I get that, I have came across certain things like this in the past, this time round though its been great to have it all on my dedicated windows server as I have learnt a lot more and its easier to manage via both RDP and FTP.

Any ideas what I messed up with the top background showing fine on desktop but only partially on mobile?

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 8:44pm
Ignore above, seems to have just been an issue with my mobile, fixed now.
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 10:01pm
Thumbs Up

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2021 at 10:03pm
Your favicon must be in ico file not a png

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2021 at 4:33am
yea I am aware of that, your still missing the point on that one, not sure how but I will explain it again now that it is working.

I initially forgot about adding favicon and it was mentioned by yourself I should add it to remove the error, so I went and converted my logo image file to .ico file  after that I added it to every page using the OE button, after doing that I realised it was working on local host (Preview) but not after publishing.

After looking at my project folder and my website root I noticed there was a file called favicon.oe.ico (not the file I had chosen for my favicon or my actual location of my favicon but thought that this .oe.ico file must be relevant so i tried uploading it manually to my webserver root and sure enough the favicon began to work.

So I am guessing when you add a favicon.ico (my one went to files/images/other) it also creates this favicon.oe.ico file in root that is required for it to display as there is no other explanation why it wasn't working before but then suddenly began working after adding this file to the main root of my webserver.

Off-topic a bit here:

Although I am new to OE I am not new to websites in general along with running many php forums in the past, however I am not fluent in any of these languages I just know the basics, what I am new to though is running everything myself, IIS webserver, DNS Server, MYSQL and php, also this is first time I have created a website using a software as its always been web based site builder with one.com with a some manual html bits here and there to add certain features ect...

But this time around I thought well I rent a dedicated windows server to run gaming servers on why not learn how to run the website on that too and save £60 per year, and although its been a lot more work I have really enjoyed it, I have learnt a lot about the backend side of the websites which I never had to bother with before as all back end was done for me.

Again I am very thankful for OE being available especially for free as it has allowed me to create a nice looking site that full fills all my needs and more and I hope to learn more as I go. I am also very thankful of the excellent responses here on the forum without OE and the forum for support I would be still using a hosting site with a half hearted site with limits on how many pages I can have before needing to upgrade to a higher package ect...

Thanks again for all the work you do! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic