BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Don't get people fired

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver7hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Don't get people fired
    Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 6:16pm
I love to see new companies come out with better products, pushing better practices. I was a huge fan of Macromedia, and hated to see them go. I am always looking for something better then my Adobe products. You had me excited right away, in fact there is only one main thing right off I am not seeing that I need for what I do and the way I work at least. I may just be missing it. It ties in to why I say "Do not get people Fired". So I downloaded and installed, I poked around. Looking good! I enter my FTP info so I can sample editing an existing page. WHOA!! Stop already, you automatically setup base files, but not just locally, they pushed to the server, not just adding folders but overwriting existing files, my htaccess robots and index files, all critical, just gone, both locally and remotely !! I am literary at the verge of being fired at that moment my heart in my throat feeling panicky. Now I have backups as should everyone but that does not mean everyone does. I have been using Dreamweaver since version one, however deep that rut, it has problems, bloat, FTP that's greatly lacking and buggy. A program that is better, more modern, lighter and does not require me to keep regrowing my arms and legs to pay for it would be like a dream come true. However I need/want to be able to continue to work in the structure that I currently am, in my flow. Especially considering sometimes some of us have to take jobs where the existing site is a legacy heap of .... well it needs a lot of work! I now feel like I am excluded from being in the presence of your greatness. I am sad.

Well that's my frustration, good luck to you. 
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 8:41pm
Hi,

From what I managed to understand, you have published your website online to the same location where old content has already been published. Obviously there are files that are overwritten. You should have at least tried to bublish into a subfolder first, to test the site.

If you want a full control on what is published or not, use Export to folder, then FileZilla to upload chosen files. Attention, many files are important for proper functioning, if you just publish "index.htm" it will not work.

As for the built-in publishing, there's a list of files/folders where you can uncheck what you don't want to upload. But I think it is not available for the first upload which is supposed to be "complete" to guarantee that the website works online (otherwise this forum would be crowded with panic messages).

In 4 years in the project, and thousands of posts, this is the first time I encounter such a complaint, I haven't even though about this possibility before, though now I realise it can yield real damage to those not careful enough. I hope you managed to restore everything as it was.

If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask, but be as precise as possible about your way of work and needs etc.

Good day
D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic