BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

(Auto_Menu) and more

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Auto_Menu) and more
    Posted: Jul 02 2015 at 9:32pm
So far I love this software but I am really worried that I will not be able to post a finish product that works.  I am using the template Responsive_01.   I have a few things I can't figure out how to do.

Right now I have about 6 links on the Base_MenuRetractable, but I have about 8 pages built below.  I would really like to attach 3 links to 1 link in the Base_MenuRetractable or have it link to just the first of 3 and then the user could scroll down to see more Menus.  I was wondering if there was a way to add sub links to the (Auto_Menu) for example:

Menus:
>Draft Beer
>House Cocktails
>Food

I guess this would also require some sort of drop down menu instead of one of the links in the Base_MenuRetractable.  I think this might be out of my skill set, so I would settle with just being able to control which page the link jumps to.  I see that the links are labled #a1, #a2 and so forth but when I am on the page.  I also see the code block that I believe defines where the start of the page is "<a id='ax' name='ax'>&nbsp;&nbsp;</a>" and I see the name of the panel "WE6135a68944" but I see no where in the code that this panel is called #a1 or #a2.

I hope my questions were clear and that someone can help.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2015 at 9:04am
Hi,

The automenu is for mobile devices with small screens, where the popup sub-menu would be very inconvenient.

what you could try is to attach a popup menu to the "widescreen" menu's link, then additionally add 3 links to the list and HIDE them (uncheck the Visible property). 

The hardest part is to place the elements on the same level (y-coordinate) and lsightly on the right of the item you want them to follow, which means they will get above existing links; I recommend to "lock" their container (Group of Elements) using the lock icon under the element.

You will then see those links appear in the automenu and not in the widescreen menu.

To control what pages are called, note that the sections (pages) are "named" in the order of appearance: a1, a2 etc. (it is set automatically by the JS script), so you just need to specify #a1, #a2 etc. as the link's URL.
b-rent$ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2015 at 6:39pm
Thank you for the response.  I am going to give it a try and see how it goes.
b-rent$ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2015 at 7:40pm
Once again, this was a simple solution.  Changing the links to fit the order of the pages is working.  I will try the pop up menu later but the help you have provided gets me to a point where I think I might be able to post the page.  Little embarrassed that I didn't figure it out on my own but I am happy as long as it gets done.  Thanks again.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2015 at 9:46pm
This template, Responsive01, is rather "awkward" to manipulate (no wonder as it's me who did it, besides it used then-just-made features in OE that weren't yet polished). We really need to publish more templates and some elements to facilitate making responsive designs (and I thin kin several months it may be done, along with the eCommerce integration)
b-rent$ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2015 at 7:41pm
Looking forward to see what you come up with.  I have been playing around with templates and free online web builders for a while and have never been happy.  You may think what you have here is "akward", but it is thus far the easiest to learn and work with for some one that has no experience writting code.  Great software.  Thank you.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2015 at 7:45pm
Well it's awkward compared to other templates, but other templates are very obsolete and not responsive.. (it's much easier to manipulate statically placed content, obviously)
b-rent$ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2015 at 2:21pm
Everything worked. Hiding the links on the Base_MenuRetractable now has them on the Auto_Menu. I even put a couple of spaces in front of them so it looks like they are indented. I actually published the site last night www.workhorsebar.com. Finally got a chance to look at it on a cell phone. Looks good enough for me but I had some questions just in case I wanted to tweek it. When building the site I kept checking how I thought it would look by shrinking the size of my screen. This turned out to be a mostly accurate way of testing it's responsive nature. On my phone the layout looks good but some of the text is small. I now realize that when you pinch zoom on a cell phone, it is more like adjusting the magnifying glass on you PC browser. The result is that you loose the left and right edges of the project. At this point it is kind of difficult to find the drop down Auto_Menu. I think I will change the placement of the Auto_Menu but was curious if there was a way to make this better for cell phones. Decrease the minimum width on all pages? Just make everything larger? Also is there a way to just make the text in the Auto_Menu larger with out making the links on the Base_MenuRetractable larger?
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2015 at 2:44pm
There's a very useful tool integrated in Chrome (in its development tools), to simulate a screen on a mobile device. It can produce a more realistic rendering.

I think you can try to play with the meta 

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
(you can insert it with a Code Block Source type HTML position Head). Also pay attention to how your content Element Groups behave when shrinking the screen, you can try to make them expand to nearly 100% for smaller widths. If you are stuck, I can look closer at this problem.

I like the website, it carries the style of the entity it presents, and I always liked wood textures ) But you need to work on your images to optimize them (either with openElement's optimisation in Project->Resources or with other tools), you now have 21Mb of images (takes minutes with my connection to load the page) and you should avoid having more than 2-3Mb; even Google may penalize your site in its search results because of this. It becomes especially sensitive when people use non-unlimited mobile internet connections.
b-rent$ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b-rent$ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2015 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the advice. I will try the meta data. It has taken time but I have been able to figure everything else out but I will let you know if I get stuck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic