BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SVG & SVGZ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SVG & SVGZ
    Posted: Mar 15 2015 at 3:51pm
SVG and SVGZ image files are currently not supported in OE even though they are valid in all HTML 5 capable browsers as images. While one can use visual code containers to place SVG code, it can't be SVGZ, and the elements do not display graphically for precise visual placement in OE.

https://css-tricks.com/using-svg/

http://images.clipartpanda.com/fame-clipart-svgedit.svgz

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/SVG_logo.svg

Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2015 at 4:15pm
Hi,

Indeed, we were pondering over this lack of functionality.

Concerning SVGZ: if you insert SVG code directly into your page, and if gzip compression is enabled on the server (the assistant OEGuideline can check and try to activate it, among other things), the whole page along with SVG code, resulting in more or less the same overal weight. (If gzip compression is not and cannot be enabled on the server, you have other things to worry about before looking into compressing SVGs Approve )

We will try to add SVG[Z] support in next versions, but I can't say when exactly.

Good day
D
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2015 at 4:16pm
gear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2015 at 4:02pm
Yes, svgz can be done server side with some servers, but it would be nice if svg were properly integrated into OE. Placing optimized svg code into a visual code element is not the most obvious and intuitive option. It took me a few days of messing around (I'm new to OE) before I figured out that was even possible. In my opinion it should work just like a jpg, gif or png, and show up as one of the standard image formats.

One of the problems I've been dealing with is trying to layout the svgs in OE using the visual code blocks. They don't allow you to see any of the SVG details so aligning things is not possible with out viewing the results in a web browser killing off the beauty of wysiwyg nature of OE. I've resorted to using other applications to align the elements visually relative to one another, then copying the resulting data into Open Element. It's a silly extra step that wouldn't be needed if OE supported svg/svgz. Isn't the browser core of OE Chromium? I know the Chromium browser supports SVG.

A related issue is I can't use svgs as backgrounds with out layering them in, or modifying the code post OE.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2015 at 5:01pm
SVGs are in our to-do list (thanks for reminding about using them as background, this was not noted), I can't say when it will be done but it's one of important functionalities that's still missing..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic