BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why I can't see the site on other pc?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why I can't see the site on other pc?
    Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 4:16pm
I made a site for friends. They want to see it and I made a copy of it and saved on my usb key. Opening a page on their pc nothing happens; only the background is visible. So I tried to open another page, but result is the same. Why?We tried with IE 8.0 and with Firefox latest version but it still the same result. In both cases the platform is windows.
Is there something I don't know or something I did wrong?
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 4:39pm
Hi Bravo12.

When you create your project, the project folder contains data needed for openElement to work. There are htm pages as well, but it is never safe to use them.

You need to publish your site, for example with the button Export to folder, and use this version. Resulting folder is called someting like Upload_xxxx.

If you publish your site like this, you can copy this folder and see it anywhere, unless something goes really wrong, or you have PHP pages in your site in which case it needs to be online or run with AMP (easyPHP etc).

Good day
D
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 5:27pm
First of all, thanks again Chris.
So, if I have undertood well, it is like the ASP... I can't see if I don't publish and I must work online. Is it right?

To me is bad, 'cause they want to see  before publish, also 'cause they already have a site and are afraid something could happens destroying the old site or damaging it...

(There are no pages in PHP here, only some css and some java, but all very simple).

Good day to you too... ;-)
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2013 at 8:39pm
Hi Bravo,

Normally, if you go to the top menu and click export to folder, it should create a web-ready folder with all necessary files. If you only have html, css, and js, this should open normally in any browser. Are you sure you copied the exported publish folder to the usb drive and not the project folder? if using the project folder, you will need to have the same version of openelement installed on your friend's machine.

the best way to do this is to use the export to folder function and use that folder to copy all files to a usb drive.

if you have further problems, please list the steps you took and at what point the problem occurred.

thanks!
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 12:20am
Now I'm on another computer (Linux) and I can't see on my pc windows, but I have their 2800+ AMD laptop, and I've installed on it openelement, and moved a copy of entire project folder on it... same problem.  This laptop doesn't have any line or wifi connection but as you said it should work. Why it does not?
Steps: (Also this laptop uses windows XP pro...)
1) made a copy of entire project folder and moved on this laptop
2) installed openelement on it
3) launch the program but it can't find any connection to the web 'cause it can't connect (no wifi or other line) so it said "error of connection" ...

As you said it should see the project and in effect it opens pages only if I use openelement, but when I try to open the page with the preview button, Firefox starts and the same problem happens. Only background is visible, nothing other.

I now tried to export as you suggested, but it does the same. [Note that I am not using an internet connection.]
Does openelement needs a connection also here? As I told those friends are afraid something could happens on their actual site... and they don't want transform it in a "slave site"... this is a clean laptop (formatted yesterday) and followed instructions as you said, but it doesn't work again...Confused

Edited by Bravo12 - Jun 20 2013 at 2:09am
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 2:08am
Hi Bravo,

When in the copy of the project folder, try double clicking on the .ope file to open the project. does the project open normally? can you access and edit every page? if everything looks good in edit mode, click on "save all" and refresh the site explorer (refresh button at top of site explorer). then try to preview the open page.

ps- did you make sure to save all in the original project?

keep us posted on your progress.

Best

Chris

Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 8:40am
Yes, I already did it and saved all in the original project, but it looks as something went wrong 'cause of that problem.
This afternoon I'll try to repeat all and make a new site-project. Let's see what will happens...

Can it be done 'cause I changed original pictures, deleted some of them and made the all to my needs? (I have used the ArtDeco_Argent template).

Always thanks Chirs, and have a good day
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 8:52am
If you are experiencing further problems with your project, please send it to us for analysis. Either zip and upload it yourself, or use openElement: button (?) at the top -> Error report -> check Send project automatically, then post here the size of the ZIP sent.
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2013 at 11:51am
Thanks for inviting me to send you the project, but I'm a little "hard head" and I like to understand what happens.
So now I found something: that template comes with 2 layers; one is black(1) and the other is browny(2). When I launch the homepage (in OE) and try to do something, it opens the layer wth browny but this layers goes to open the 1st layer with black bg; note that the homepage in itself has the browny bg...

I now deleted the first layer 'cause it is with black bg, but the project (in homepage) itself comes with browny bg. I renamed the 2nd layer as 1st; it gaves errors but accepted the change. Saved all and close. I'll try later 'cause here is time to go to eat... :-)

We'll see later what happens, but I think it is at this moment done and should work correctly. I'll let you know after made necessary changes as needed.

Thanks again for help

Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 4:52pm
Sorry for the delay, but we have had an earthquake and the wave damaged the ram on the usual pc I'm using, so I had to find another ram, but it is not enough. The pc is now slowing down...

The program seems work correctly and I would suppose the question was for the earthquake wave arrived 'cause is well known they spread magnetic fields and those are able to damage many things. I'm trying to finish the site to see if it can be (this time) usable on other computers. I'll let you know and I hope nothing will happens again...

For now my regards and thanks again

Bravo12

Edited by Bravo12 - Jun 22 2013 at 4:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic