BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.htm and .html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .htm and .html
    Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 9:27pm
Hellò! I am a new user on your site and as many I have downloaded your software to try to do something avoiding the usual spending of time (after I check all codes handly). I have seen about this post and I am now here with a pair of questions in relation to the "saving".

Is it possible to save files with html extension in place of the here used htm? I tried but it always skips the final "L" . It is not very important, but as you know many servers at present time prefere the html 'cause it is a little newer than the only htm.

Second: I tried to say to the program to use my language (it) but in end it saves all files with name.extension.it. Could it be possible to save without the final "it"?

Thanks in advance for answering me. I really appreciate peoples when they use their time to give free things to the world community. Clap

[Moved to new topic for clarity]

Edited by Chris OE - Jun 09 2013 at 6:15am
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 10:12am
Hi, and thank you for joining us!

I hope Chris will answer you with more details later, as I don't have much time today; I'd just like to mention that openElement has its system of supporting several languages - go to Preferences - Translations (or Languages), and choose Italian; you can choose it by default, otherwise Itailan pages will have the name "pagename-it.htm".

Have good weekends

D
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 11:31am
Thanks for your answer, Dmit and again thanks to you all for the program. It will be shared.
It was exactly what I was saying, but I was asking if it possible after changed language, to save files with the only extension html without the it included. I already switched to my language, but the surprise was when I have seen the extension changed from pagename.htm to pagename-it.htm.

The other question was: why it saves only in htm and not in html (more used) as default? I tried to change to html, but after the program can't recognize files as done with it... is there a particular reason of keeping the old extension htm?

Last: there will be a chance to have the program also for Linux platforms? It could be a really great thing...believe me!

Regards: Bravo12

Edited by Bravo12 - Jun 08 2013 at 11:31am
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 6:09am
Hi Bravo12,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for downloading openElement!

Click on Preferences and open the Translations tab.

Add whatever languages other than Italian you would like the page to be in.  Make sure you click "enable" on the languages you want to be active, and make Italian the "default."  Let's say you enable Italian and English...  Normally, this should create the page pagename.htm for Italian (default) and pagename.en.htm for English (not default).

If this gives you problems, let us know, we will do some more tests.  There is a workaround if it does not work as stated above.  On the Page tab of the Main Menu, click on SEO info.  There you will see a link to "Translate URL."  This will give you the option of entering a custom URL (URL rewriting) for each language the page is in (pagename.htm for english, nomepagina.htm for italian).  The only drawback is that you have to repeat the procedure for each page.

As for the other issue.  We will look into the .htm vs .html issue and get back to you soon.

Thank you again and happy building!

Chris

PS We are working on porting to Mac and Linux.  Stay tuned!

Edited by Chris OE - Jun 09 2013 at 6:10am
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 12:28pm
Thanks for your answer, Chris, but I already did all of what you said. The saving page gives me a nomepagina.it.htm and changing to a simple nomepagina.htm breaks the links on all other pages...

I think (but is only what I personally think) that could be better saving in the elanguage that user needs, but keeping same extension for all. Example: if I save for english or dutch or italian always will be pagename.htm(L), and only the text inside pages will be in the needed language, as th program too (I can help you in translation of all). This can't duplicate pages in two languages (as it happens now) and the user will have only and always a unique layer to work on, instead of two.

We will look into the .htm vs .html issue and get back to you soon.
I have seen many sites use again the internal html (sometimes xtml as the source of this page too). I hope that publishing the site on some server it will accepted with the old htm...

Here anothe question: if I already have a space on a server and I would upload the develope site I made, what part of the all I have to use? I have seen that it results always with lot of material and folders too and also it uses a way like nested sections. For this I don't know what I have to use to upload the done site to the server. Can you please let me know?

Thanks again for your patience, and the time used to answer me.

Regards: Bravo12
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 3:43pm
Hi Bravo12,

openElement is designed to automatically manage all internal links, updating them as necessary if you change a page's name (either through the Site Manager or using URL Rewriting as described above).  Just make sure you use openElement's Link Configuration form when creating internal links.

I conducted a test.  I took a web project and set the languages to English and Italian.  I set Italian to default.  Then I saved the page.  When viewing the page in Italian (current language can be seen at top of editing pane), I clicked preview and it opened the "Italian" page as NewPage.htm (default) and the English page as NewPage.en-us.htm.  

Can you show me a screenshot of where you encounter the problem?  Normally, if you use oE's link and language management system, you don't have to worry about broken links or file names. Check this Wiki page for more info: http://wiki.openelement.com/en/index.php?title=Create_a_Multi-Language_Site

.Htm should be fine on any server, but like I said, we'll look into it for you.

As for Publishing, you're more than welcome to use your existing web host or sign up for a new one. openElement has a built-in FTP uploader accessible through Preferences -> Publishing: http://wiki.openelement.com/en/index.php?title=Publishing_Settings

If you wish to use your own FTP app, use the Export to Folder button in the Main Menu -> Project tab.  Then upload all generated files to your web server.  The easiest thing to do is just enter your server information in openElement and let the software do the work.

Please continue following up.  We really want to help you resolve this problem.

Happy Building!

Chris
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 5:00pm
Mhhh, I'm repeating the test you tried before, but here I can't see any italian language of possible setting during first composition (before checking some template). Can it be that I haven't the package installed for my country ? It allows me to change/add flag language only after make the site and going in Preferences. I don't have other way... and probably for this the program saves as "nomepagina.it.htm"? Anyway is not such a big problem...I save in default and use links in my language.

Publishing: I use Firefox and FireFTP (extension of FF). But what I haven't understood is: do I have to publish / copy all site with all folders I did or what? I have seen there are folders I never will use, so it would be great not publish them...only for avoiding possible confusion to other friends who will enter with ftp.

Chris, thanks again for you kind patience. I hope also other peoples will find from these answer a correct way to use the program... ;-)

Edited by Bravo12 - Jun 09 2013 at 5:06pm
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 6:54pm
Hi Bravo12,

Just making sure you followed the right steps.  From a project:
Click on Preferences, Translations, enable Italian and click Default.  Then Apply, and OK.  After that, change text in "current language."  Switch between languages by clicking on current language button above editing pane.  To enable easy navigation between languages of website, drag element Website Flag to page. 

Preview of Italian language page (as default):

Preview of English language page:

Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Bravo12 Bravo12 wrote:

Publishing: I use Firefox and FireFTP (extension of FF). But what I haven't understood is: do I have to publish / copy all site with all folders I did or what? I have seen there are folders I never will use, so it would be great not publish them...only for avoiding possible confusion to other friends who will enter with ftp.

To reduce the risk of problems with the website, we recommend you transfer all files/folders of the site. We also recommend using oE for FTP.  But if you are using an external FTP app, then you can upload whatever files you want to put on your webserver.  If you feel there are unnecessary folders, try uploading everything and deleting the folders you do not want.  Keep testing the website to make sure it still works.  If you have any problems, try using oE to publish.
Bravo12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 9:28pm
Thanks again, Chris. This is exactly what I did the first time. Anyway I have seen that I don't need change the language and I can save in htm with all text in my language without problems. What is worrying me is the publish of all the folders on the net. I would like to know the position, 'cause I have seen the program saves all css on the root of the folder, but if a check inside some other folder (subfolder) I see the same files... why this? I am used to make a foldser for every section and keep inside the needed files. This is for having a clean site... and here I don't know how to send the css file in that css folder on the root, 'cause the program saves as told.

Now I tried to insert here an image, but the panel gives me error 500 "internal server error" and I can't upload it... it say that the resource I'm looking for has problems and can't be uploaded...(Path: uploads/8104) http://forum.openelement.com/en/RTE_popup_adv_image.asp (translated from france language)  Confused.

Note: I'm (as told) using the program in english, so why a notice partially in fance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic