BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Publishing not going where expected

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Publishing not going where expected
    Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 4:34pm
Hi all,
Just downloaded OE last night and played with it getting the jist of how to operate it.  Made a small sample website based off my website that I have online that I can no longer modify because the program is defunct.

I figured that I would give OE a try, it seems like a nice program that has potential.  Anyway...  I went and setup my preferences for publishing.  I uploaded the test website and I could watch the files being transferred.  I had checked open site when finished publishing and when it did nothing was there.  Actually, nothing had changed seeing as I was using my TEST website area, the test didn't change.

So I use WISE-FTP as my FTP manager and went on and could see that the files had loaded up in the root directory instead of the directory that I had pointed at in the preferences under "Additional Information">Default directory and Upload directory.

I chose the root directory (/) for the default directory and the /u12345678/test directory as my Upload Directory.

Then I press the "Test your settings" button and it confirms that it works and it puts the hostGetParam.php file into the root instead of the test directory where I expected and thought I told it to go.

Then it says it can't find the hostGetParam.php file because it looks into the correct directory for it.

Wonder what I'm doing wrong.  Been trying things left and right and it seems that it's ignoring the Upload Director line.  If I leave it blank it does the same thing.  If I change the default directory to the test directory link it tells me that it doesn't exist and would I like to create it.  I've always chosen no because the directory does exist.

Ouch  Thanks for any help
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 5:16pm
For a test site on my host:

Server address: denislafrance.net
URL: https://denislafrance.net/test
Default directory :
public_html (in my case)
public_html/test for the test site
Upload folder: Upload

The trick for me was in the default directory for the main site root
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 5:19pm
Take some time to review the Youtube video tutorial listed in https://forum.openelement.com/en/forum_topics.asp?FID=21&title=user-tutorials

Pay attention to the responsiveness it is mandatory
Leo G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 5:44pm
I've watched quite a few of the youtube videos.  Sometimes they are hard to follow because they are a different version which have a different screen layout (not skin)
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Leo G Leo G wrote:

I've watched quite a few of the youtube videos.  Sometimes they are hard to follow because they are a different version which have a different screen layout (not skin)

I know, that's why I created the videos on my playlist:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWg7A6YtIr7WE2oJe9pX8_3u0FerqJwjo

They are all made with the latest version of OE

I've been told that I was going too fast sometime but I wanted to maintain them to a mimimum length.  Anyway they can be viewed as many time as needed.

Leo G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 5:59pm
I'm also wondering if the format that 1and1 uses is creating some of this problem.  I have to create a site using their hosting.  I currently have 2 domains lrgwoodcrafting.com and lrgwood.com.  The lrgwoodcrafting.com domain is only a redirect to the lrgwood.com domain.  Only my website uses the straight domain name the rest of the site use the format of xxxx.lrgwood.com.  My test site is test.lrgwood.com.

The way the directory structure is for 1and1 (I assume all FTPs are this way but I'm not really sure) is that my section on their server is u12345678 (not the real address, but it is U and 8 digits) and then I have subdirectories off that.  The main directories would be u12345678/lrgwoodcrafting and u12345678/lrgwood.  Those are the domains and the subdomains are sub dot lrgwood.com

I can only get the publisher to access the u12345678 directory and no other no matter what I put into the upload directory box
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 6:09pm
Thereis not much I can do without direct access to the host
Leo G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leo G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 6:21pm
Ya, I watched a few of your videos just a bit ago.  You are a talented designer with a lot of knowledge.  Way beyond what I have currently.  I could watch what you did on some of the responsive sitework but my knowledge of CSS in nearly zero.  So I was pretty much lost while watching you work LOL.
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2021 at 6:52pm
Most of the CSS can be set trough the properties pannel and the Media Editions but it pays to know more about CSS.

Edited by Hobby001 - Jun 06 2021 at 6:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic