BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedediting code directly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: editing code directly
    Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 4:49pm
i've been using open element for a couple of days and am having a good time. 

however, i have discovered something that is very irritating that i can't figure out.

i have gotten a site to a point where it's good, but i have had to edit the index.htm and index.css files directly to add in text and formatting that i couldn't do at all in the open element.

now when i open the project in OE, it reverts to ITS saved copy of the files which obliterates the few small changes I have made. 

where do i go to disable this annoying "safety" "feature?

thanks!
tom
tom8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 5:39pm
will someone please jump in. i'm getting very nervous here... i've read a post on this forum called "source" which there were two authors that said "you cannot edit source." 

As most everyone here, i've been working with code for more than 20 years. the ability to edit source is fundamental to everyone.

i've used the senswhite template and about a section i've added some divs in the index.htm and in the index.css i've added some formatting. the result is that the page is just how i'd like it... now when i go and open the project in OE, the changes i've made are discarded. 

i have to be missing something in the product to allow me to edit source. can anyone help? 
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 5:57pm
OE uses some sort of database to track adds, remove and changes to elements.

Every time you save a page it overwrites the previous document with a new version.

When you use an external editor to change something in the page OE' don't know about it and will overwrite it automatically.

Now, there are some ways to add code into a page trough code blocks (visual or not).

Explain your goal, describe the objective and I will try to lead you to a solution.

Edited by Hobby001 - Jan 19 2021 at 5:58pm
tom8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 6:01pm
Hobby001. Thank you!

in the senswhite template between pan_central_a_propos and pan_texte_a_propos_2 i've added a couple of DIVs (end of this post) which put a nice header of text between the elements. I've added a "100%" width formatting element in the index.css. these are the easiest, simplest most non-destructive HTML things i could imagine. but OE will not accept these changes to the original files, and there's no where in OE that i can find that would allow me to A) add anything or B) precisely add anything. furthermore, there's no way via the OE UI that I can find to make my necessary changes. this is the simplest thing i could imagine as a use case scenario for a web developer. surely there's something that is hidden that makes this easy. 

DIVs
 <div class="OERelLine OEHAlignC OEVAlignT">
              <div id="WE6c0657ab0c" class="BaseDiv RNone OEWELabel OESK_WELabel_Default" style="z-index:3001">
               <div class="OESZ OESZ_DivContent OESZG_WE6c0657ab0c">
                <span class="OESZ OESZ_Text OESZG_WE6c0657ab0c ContentBox"><span style="font-family:Montserrat;">ABOUT OUR FOUNDER</span></span>
               </div>
              </div>
             </div>

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 7:22pm
OE works with elements;

You can add a "group of elements" in between these two pannels

You can give it a 100% width, positioning relative.  Add a single line text element centerred in it assign text font, size color and style and you can do it all trough OE's interface.

Edited by Hobby001 - Jan 19 2021 at 7:32pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 7:25pm
Did you spent some time looking at these user video tutorials? 

tom8 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 7:49pm
thanks for the help. i ended up rearchitecting the page and probably making my original design worse because i had to design around a clear flaw in this OE thing. the result is you can see why there are so few folks in this community. 

whoever was the original designer, they made it so strict that they lost site of the user... the developer. what web dev doesn't go and tweak HTML, .js, or .css directly? i've never known one.

anyway, to you sir... mr. hobby001. you've gone above and beyond the duty here and i sincerely appreciate the effort. i'd hire you in a second. 

i'm inclined to strap on my jet pack and get away from this OE thing. we'll see... thanks again.
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2021 at 8:06pm
You can add HTML, js and css directly to the page using code block elements. These pieces of code will remain in the page since they are known by OE

Edited by Hobby001 - Jan 20 2021 at 1:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic