BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

.ope file missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WattJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .ope file missing
    Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 3:31pm
Hi,
Whilst trying to include a password for a certain page-covered in other forum entries-, I forgot to backup the project (Yes, such a noob mistake)

So, I have now a project which does not work in my PC, but the site in the server is working. I have downloaded all the files from the server with filezilla, but there is no .ope file there. How do I transform the files into an oe project again?

I have tried copying the .ope file from other project and renaming it, but a pop up screen says there are problems in configuration and does not accept the conversion.

How do I transform the files into an oe project again?

Edited by WattJet - Sep 09 2020 at 4:56pm
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 5:00pm
Probable you thought about the system Recycle Bin?
You did not perform an automatic backup? Which ended in a packed zip file, and includes the ope.

There is (for me) no known way to recover this site automatically.
Because OE is a CMS, based on a data bank. *.ope contains important info for that DB.
An ope from another project can not match at all.
And it can not be recovered automatically, because the structure is not known.

But you may use any existing htm file as *new page*.
That needs the manual activation, piece after piece.
Same is true for Layers, and probably for resources.

At least you have the data.
But not yet the structure; that's up to you to restore.
That procedure is really a pita.

Recommendation:
Frequently backup the whole project - just copy the complete project folder.
Use the standard system file explorer.

Attention!
Do NOT delete any Folder via openelement.
Close the project to 'unlock' the files.
It's important to close the project before you remove any element, because the closing process saves the actual state. It would overwrite any 'manual' modification.
Use the system file explorer, remove/delete that folder, and reload the project.
If you delete any folder directly in OE, it will destroy your project.
This is a known issue.

Edited by digizar - Sep 09 2020 at 5:46pm
WattJet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WattJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 5:16pm
Thanks for the answer.
I have been unable to recover anything from the recycle bin.

The .oe file I was trying to use is the one of that same project (after messing it up).... and it asks me for manual confirmation but even manually it does not work

Edited by WattJet - Sep 09 2020 at 5:21pm
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 5:26pm
It can not work.
Because even if you have the htms, you still do not have the structure, and that means no interlinks.
The wohle surroundings do not match the data bank.

May be Hobby1 knows more. He is deep in the scene.
I can just report out of my collected experience.
I had the same misery, but only once.
It requires a tremendous long time memory/brain to recover.
But one thing sticks forever:
DO NOT REMOVE THE OPE,
don't even think to remove it.

Edited by digizar - Sep 09 2020 at 5:38pm
WattJet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WattJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 5:49pm
Yes, a hard way to learn the lesson.

So far I was keeping the backups in my PC and only occasionally, making a complete file  uploading (including backup) to the server. I did not take into account that when the site is published, the .ope file is not sent.

Anyhow, I believe I manage to fix/undo the issues that did not work in the original project, so I have recovered it, uploaded, backedup online and backedup on my PC.

Thanks for your help
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 6:38pm
Look on your server. In your site root folder Look in the backup folder if you accepted the parameter   Copy this content to your project folder
WattJet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WattJet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 6:45pm
There were things not working well, so I decided to scrap all the new steps that I did on the video and re-start with the clean slate. Thanks anyway.

PS1: It's "funny" because you Hobby001 did take the time to write a post recomending to backup the project  before doing all this.....and I read it and I thought, I'll do it later-Confused

P.S.2 Since all the issues of the video are now clear, I should not have any problem in replicating the final solution (hopefully) with not much work.
But before that, I need to solve the issue on the UserSpace01 pack that cause all this. I'll cover this point in a new post on the password &  UserSpace01 pack

Edited by WattJet - Sep 09 2020 at 7:11pm
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by WattJet WattJet wrote:

PS1: It's "funny" because you Hobby001 did take the time to write a post recomending to backup the project  before doing all this.....and I read it and I thought, I'll do it later-Confused
P.S.2 Since all the issues of the video are now clear, I should not have any problem in replicating the final solution (hopefully) with not much work.
But before that, I need to solve the issue on the UserSpace01 pack that cause all this. I'll cover this point in the post on the password
Well, who reads a manual? No one. We all prefer the hard methode. It seems to be fun.
The advantage is to create a clean project, a better one than ever before. Clean and dandy. As it can not be from the early beginning.
Hug

Edited by digizar - Sep 09 2020 at 7:19pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2020 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Hobby001 Hobby001 wrote:

Look on your server. In your site root folder Look in the backup folder if you accepted the parameter   Copy this content to your project folder

I wrote this on a cell phone.  Not too good.

When you upload your site to the server, there is an option to upload a backup.  This option sends the ope and all other OE required files.

When you want to restore, you copy the site back to your PC and copy the backup folder to the site rood directory.  That restores the site and allow OE to open it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic