BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Copying elements between 2 projects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Copying elements between 2 projects
    Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 9:00pm
Am developping 2 projects in parallel and I can't for the life of me figure out how to copy a whole page from one to paste into the other....  

Anybody can help????
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 9:44pm
You have to open two copies of OE, create a page for target an open the source page

Then select the elements then use Ctrl C to copy and Ctrl V to paste it 

There is no way to copy a whole page directly from a project to another.
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Speedy55 Speedy55 wrote:

Am developping 2 projects in parallel and I can't for the life of me figure out how to copy a whole page from one to paste into the other....  
Anybody can help????
What do you expect?
If you overwrite the pages, the new content will prevail. At least it should.

If you want to expand an existing page with parts of another page,
you would have to manually add/attach these pages through the oe *Site Explorer* (UI left side). Not just by copying them.
It does not work if you just add files by copying them into an existing project. OE would not know about those fiies/pages. During website building it has to create all the interlinks, the page references etc.

Therefore you have to add/attach these pages (as mentioned), or you may also add them from any existing directory, the one from where you would like to add files to your project. But that could ask for trouble in handling. Keep on reading, and it will become ciear why.
Same is true if you add pe pictures/images. They would have to be 'activated' through the *Resources*.

Keep in mind, that oe is a CMS, it can not simply handle plain sequential files, it has to handle them through an internal data base, to create all the interlinks of the final website. That means you have to make the files/pages known to oe, to the CMS.
The system also creates additional *.dat files with important information contained in these *.htm pages. These *.dat files are silently created, when you add the pages through the Site Explorer.
If you lose the *.dat files, you lose the project (or just that particular page). Because the CMS does not know (the content of) the *.htm files anymore. Well, you may re-attach them.

That means, too, that you have to copy/backup the complete prioject, including those *.dat files.

If your target name/file already exists, just rename the target, and add/attach that name.
That could NOT work for Home Page (becomes index.htm) and not for the Base(Layer), they have to be unique for a project.

For the time being do not delete a *Folder* through oe.
Delete a folder through the windows Explorer, and reload/restart the project.

If you have probably in mind, to keep two sites with different languages (pe spain & english), there is a very elegant different way: Project ... Prefrerence ... Translation.

That's all - so far. Keep on typing :-)

Edited by digizar - Aug 26 2020 at 10:08am
Speedy55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2020 at 6:32am
@ Hobby001; Yes, I had lit on that solution, time consuming as heck and I did run into the issues raised by the other guy below - easy enough to fix, but again not for anyone in a hurry... Tongue

Much thanks for your reply!

Edited by Speedy55 - Aug 22 2020 at 6:33am
Speedy55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2020 at 7:36am
digizar; Danke mein Herr, for that well developped answer; the whole thing became obvious as I read it...  Will go to bed a little less supid tonight thanks to you.

Alles Gute für dich!
Speedy Charly
WEB radio; Internet for the ears & soul ♫
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic