BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dynamic X and Y Position

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AGC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamic X and Y Position
    Posted: Jul 17 2020 at 6:00pm
Hello Hobby1,

So I worked on this on and off for a day and your solution worked exactly as described.

Thank you again for the help, it would have been quite a while till I would have gone looking at the element options to try something different, you saved quite a few hours, if not days, of hassle.

AGC
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 1:26am
If you put everything into the group of elements and set it as per the example below 

It should work
AGC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 1:25am
Okay so I just found the container Group, did not realize this is how things were grouped, so I am going toy with this and I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

Thank you again.
AGC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 1:14am
Thank you, the width aspect is working, but I still can't get the objects to move up and down like in your example.  If you are inclined, please check back tomorrow as I don't wish to waste your time either, I'm going to reread all you wrote and try to figure it out first.  One thing I cannot find is where to set the positioning to relative though, so if you can point me to the right bow right now, that might go a long ways, unless it just means using percentages.

I should also add, I'm using the horizontal line element in between text elements, so I don't know if that makes a difference versus your example you posted.

Edited by AGC - Jul 15 2020 at 1:18am
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 12:50am
On this temporary demo page you will see a group of elements with red border and three multi-lines text blocks set to 80% width and centerred

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 12:44am
Hi,

From your description I can understand that you are working in absolute positioning mode

To achieve your gioal, you have to 
use a group of elements, 
position it where you want, 
give it a width of 100%.
give it auto for height
Change the behavior positioning from absolute to relative.
Insert all your text block in it 

Look at this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjldPoc7Edk&list=PLTeqLjRfHQXa8ymuFjVCulLYHWNRQvO9v&index=2&t=1284s

AGC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2020 at 12:08am
Hello Forum,

I am an application designer by trade, NOT a web designer, and I have little knowledge of modern web design.  I picked up openElement and loved it immediately.  It works, if you apply yourself and read the functions and parameters, and understand a thing or two about design and computing, it's truly and elegant and powerful solution.

Unfortunately, after a week and a lot of trying different things, I have one issue that I cannot seem to over come to finish my site.

I have placed a number of multi-line text boxes and horizontal lines on my pages, formatted the text boxes and lines to have min distance from right edge, and they dynamically resize perfectly.  My only issue is that when an object resizes above, in this case a text box, the resizing of the object does not force the object below it to maintain its relative distance from it.

If a browser screen is maximized or two thirds open, it's not an issue, but if you drag the viewable area to les than tat, the text begins to roll over the horizontal line, and, if there had been enough text, it would spill oonto the next text box I would presume.

The question is if I have a fixed top position(Y) of the object, and a fixed left  and right position (X), and have have my object dimensions set to auto, how can I get my Y to move down if the object above it changes dimensions and acquires more "Y" as "X" is reduced?

I tried setting my position to auto for the objects, but they stack to the top, I can't seem to find a "minimum top", and I've tinkered with many options so far, and nothing will move the objects below another proportionally.

I just want everything to resize and adjust vertically, can anyone tell me what it is I'm missing?

Thank you anyone and everyone in advance for any help.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic