BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I create a stand alone page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 9:21am
On a similar(ish) note I am considering using this program to replicate/replace my website currently on WIX (bad move)  I have already practiced a few pages with great success - the website will eventually have around 200 interlinked pages - can anyone tell me if this is actually sensibly feasible using OE? Much Appreciate any commentsSmile
jonnyc62
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 12:30pm
Welcome jaycee62

Please provide a link to your current site.

Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by jaycee62 jaycee62 wrote:

On a similar(ish) note I am considering using this program to replicate/replace my website currently on WIX (bad move)  I have already practiced a few pages with great success - the website will eventually have around 200 interlinked pages - can anyone tell me if this is actually sensibly feasible using OE? Much Appreciate any commentsSmile

Few points:

You should start a new topic instead of adding to an existing one when it's not related to the topic's title.

The big question here is not about the feasability but how you are going to do(structure) the project.  Some did it without issues some got screwed trying to do it. 

Will this site be unilingual? 

digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 4:27pm
feasable? YES definitively YES.
The interlinks you'd have to manipulate anyway individually for the whole site.
That is much easier to handle with a local pogram like OE, than to handle that online directly on the server.
You'd end in disaster. One of the typical shortcomings remote home page tools inherit.

The care you should take, is about the structure of the site.
And -important- about the resources (images, ...), how to locate them.

Anyway, the OE ist much more flexible, as it looks at the first glance.
That site (my) is going to have some thousands of internal links,
(currently some hundreds included w/o any problem).

I open that source for the public, if interest exists:
Can freely be downloaded here (1 GB): https://blumendigi.com/_ZIP/blumendigi200209.zip

So far it is about 1 GB in size. It is more or less at a beginner's state.
Well, I upgraded my system to 16 GB internal ram, but hardly reach an upper limit of 6 GB.
An SSD is very helpful.

Edited by digizar - Feb 10 2020 at 9:36am
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 4:38pm
You may consider splitting your site in smaller chunks

In fact OpenElement stores a lot of information in dat files.  Larger sites means larger amount of dat files.

The more pages the harder is loading the site in OE.

You may consider using subdomains or directories with smaller sites to ease working with your project.

Edited by Hobby001 - Feb 09 2020 at 4:39pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 4:44pm
Digizar's comment is absolutely right, 8Gb of RAM is mandatory with Windows 10, OpenElement and large sites.

Someone on the french site of the forum was blaming OE for a situation, this person sent me the project which was working fine on my PC.  A RAM upgrade fixed the issue.

Edited by Hobby001 - Feb 09 2020 at 4:47pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 4:46pm
Another thing to consider before starting to build your site:

Do you plan to build a Responsive site?  Google ranking depend on it.
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2020 at 4:58pm
I should add some comment, which caused some 'irregulatory/confusion' for me :-)
Mentioned already somewhere in this forum.
For large projects, that situation might arise sooner as expected.
If one 'Exports to Folder', it will force that output to drive C: - which can not be changed so far.
C:\Users\your user name\Documents\openElement\...
Means, drive C: fills up with any 'Export to Folder'. When this drive becomes full, it gives an error on OE, tellung you there would not be sufficiant space (on drive C:).
But, even if one removes/deletes those files/directories, the drive still appears to be full.
That ist a matter of the operating system Windows, which tries to retain the contents of deleted files.
From time to time one has to remove these created files, AND
one HAS TO EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN manually, to finally free these still occopied spaces.

Edited by digizar - Feb 10 2020 at 1:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic