BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Websites Created with OpenElement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trial Presentation Website

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hjiorst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trial Presentation Website
    Posted: Oct 28 2019 at 8:47pm
This is the website I've been working on since early August:

I could not have done this without OE software.  I was utterly clueless about responsive websites, and OE demystified the whole process.  It is still a bit rough around the edges, but I was able to get what I wanted.  This has been on my to-do list literally for years.  Thanks OE!  I added a "Created by OE" link at the bottom of my page, which is the least I could do.

I would also like to thank Hobby001 and digizar for their guidance on the rough parts.  Your time and advice was crucial and much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Hjiorst
brolysan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brolysan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2019 at 8:09am
be careful, your images are much too heavy and dimensions too, it weighs down your page and slowed down loading.
http://sensode.com
Hjiorst View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hjiorst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2019 at 12:01am
I reduced my images today.  That ought to speed things up.  Thanks!
-Hjiorst
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2019 at 3:27pm
Obviously you missed something.
This page still loads far too slow:

Are these images really ~ 50 x 100 pix ?
Did you optmize all images? With the OE- Optimize process?
Anything wrong with a slow hoster?

I want to help you, and not to nag you.

Explanation:
It would not make sense, to keep the images let's say 4 MB each on the server.
Transfer them to the client (visiting user) with the browser (FixeFox).
And then after (partly) being transferred reduce them to minimum size of about 50 x 100 px.
That not only costs transfer time, it also costs process time inside the browser to shrink them locally.
For me it looks as if you keep full size images on the server, and transfer these images full size.

So, better keep the images on the server in size as they are finally seen on the browser.
That might need a manual reduction of each image (pe: IrfanView or faststone image Viewer, ...).

The quality of most images does not necessarily need to be that 'crisp', at least not on the landing page (index.htm). Or any other online page.
So you might also reduce the dpi from 300 down to say 72 or may be 90. Common monitors can't display any better than that.
Which -even in my opinion- is at the brink of acceptable speed.

Don't get mixed up with external sources you may invoke, like YouTube Clips.
That generally is a much longer process, and therefore takes time. Not a brilliant idea for a landig page.
So keep the number of external entities (also iframes) as few as possible, better build multiple pages with limited numbers of external images/clips.
Example: https://blumendigi.com/Clips/clips_1.gb.htm

Edited by digizar - Nov 03 2019 at 8:24pm
Hjiorst View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hjiorst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2019 at 9:22pm
I took a look at my images again and discovered some images I missed, one on that page and one for every page.  Thanks for noticing!

I had used a full-sized image (1600 x 900) temporarily as a thumbnail but forgot to create an appropriate sized thumbnail when I was resizing all my other images.  I have replaced that.  I also discovered I had neglected my background image in the same way.  It was about 2MB, and was used on every page.  I reduced that to about 75kb.  Everything ought to be loading much faster now.

I did not use OE's image optimizer; it reduced images too much for my tastes.  I used Photoshop's "Save for Web" method.

Most of the images on my site are now less than 100kb, although the slider on the main page consists of 4 images, averaging about 200kb each.  I assume that it loads them all before displaying the element.  Not much I can do about that, though.  Reducing the images more started to affect the quality (which I can see) more than I am willing to accept.

Please let me know if the pages load faster now for you.  My own service is fiber, so I don't have a good perspective on that.  Thanks again!

-Hjiorst
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2019 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Hjiorst Hjiorst wrote:

...Please let me know if the pages load faster now for you.  My own service is fiber, so I don't have a good perspective on that.  Thanks again!
My line speed ist aprox 10MB, not too much indeed (German telekom, old copper lines).
The images drop in with acceptable speed, but really 'not too fast'.
The images begin to display/writhe all together partly as soon as they drop in, which still may cause delay on the browser site.
I checked just the landing page (index.html).
Probably you can use fewer images?

On my pages I used a code portion,
I gathered it from this forum, but don't remember when and from whome.
That retards the display process until hopefully all images are arrived completely (500 ms).
https://pummelchen.org/index.htm
 <script>
  $(function(){
    setTimeout(function(){ $('#loader').fadeOut("fast"); }, 500);
    });
 </script>

Edited by digizar - Nov 11 2019 at 3:08am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic