BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Openelement on Linux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Openelement on Linux
    Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 11:30am
Hello,

About a year ago I started using Linux Mint , looked at several editors for Linux. But none of them seems to have that easy GUI like openelement. So my question is does anyone have experience using Openelement running on Linux ? And how did you get it to work ?

Or better yet: are there any plans for Openelement for Linux ?

Thanks for any response

Greetings Andres
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2019 at 11:57am
Hi Andres,

OpenElement is designed to work on Windows

Edited by Hobby001 - Aug 31 2019 at 11:57am
Andres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 7:58am
Hi Hobby001,

Today I tried to install openelement with Wine along with the additional software required but it doesn't start. Nothing happens, no error. Perhaps it's my old 32 bits laptop. Anyway if I get it to work I'll leave a post.
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2019 at 2:12pm
It might require some 'distributables, executables' of the Win-System.
Presumed by me: It might be written in MS-Visual-C++ or even in MFC.
Which would then be nearly impossible to get it up&running on other systems.

Nevertheless - keep on rolling. Clap

Edited by digizar - Sep 07 2019 at 9:14pm
Andres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 12:59pm
Installed Windows XP ( had CD and key , just for testing ) on a virtual box amd installed OE , but when I start the program there is a pop-up error message " this is not a win32" program. So old hardware must be the reason why I don't get this working. At my desktop I have 64bit CPU and no problems. At this point I'm not able to test it on a 64 bit Linux configuration, but I'm pretty confident that it will work with Wine or virtual box. I searched for hardware requirements bit I couldn't find anything. For now I'll use my desktop, and when I install Linux on my desktop I'll try again if I get this working and I'll post an update.

If anyone else wants to give it a try or knows the hardware requirements for OE then please let me know.

If you wonder why I go through this trouble ?, Linux as OS has a lot of advantages over Windows and OE is s very user-friendly and time saving software.

Greetings Andres
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2019 at 3:13pm
Quote Installed Windows XP ( had CD and key , just for testing ) on a virtual box amd installed OE , but when I start the program there is a pop-up error message " this is not a win32" program.
I had this running on a relative old version of hardware. XP-SP3 (english version). But years ago I switched to Win-7, and upgraded the system memory to 16 GB, because 4 GB came to the limit.
I assume, the 'box' might be the culprit.
MS-programs can directly access system resources. You will then never ever get them running on WINE.
I offered to the OE-team, to move it to Linux, but they denied - whatever the reason(s) might be. Accepted it, am happy with the WindowsVersion.
But still the reminder, there is a very serious bug: DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT removing a folder inside OE, that kills the project. Remove that folder via the WindowsExplorer, and (re)start the OE.
Quote If you wonder why I go through this trouble ?, Linux as OS has a lot of advantages over Windows and OE is s very user-friendly and time saving software.
How true. But face it: Windows makes the run, at least in updates.
I come from both worlds, UNIX/BSD/LINUX and Windows(DOS, ...) (decades both in system development). Before I retired (2004/5), I had the recent project under Linux(SuSE) and Qt - four years. Nice experience. But Windows(VS), 15 years ago was hell as freelancer.

Edited by digizar - Sep 08 2019 at 4:13pm
Andres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2019 at 9:36am
Hello Digizar,

Thanks for the information. Maybe you're right and OE can't run on Linux. In that case perhaps the best option is to pay and use the website builder provided by my hosting service or take the time and dive into software like bliefish 😁. Anyway enough options to explore.

Greetings Andres
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2019 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Andres Andres wrote:

Hello Digizar,
Thanks for the information. Maybe you're right and OE can't run on Linux. In that case perhaps the best option is to pay and use the website builder provided by my hosting service or take the time and dive into software like bliefish 😁. Anyway enough options to explore.
Greetings Andres
Exactly what I would NOT recommend, to use the HomePageBaukasten of a provider.
1) Is far far to slow to create a website online. Especially if images are involved.
2) If the provider goes hiphop (bancrupt) or ceases service, your websites are gone. You are bound to that environment, w/o a chance to carry your website(s) to another hoster.
3) If a virus crashes the providers' environment, then start over again, where is your original to recover?
4) You can not hunt for a reasonable provider.

Happy coding with Bluefish. Angry
When I downlowoaded that tool, the antivirus (Malwarebyts) alerted me, that there would be a trojan horse.
But, unfortunately, I don't ride on horses, LOL

You are not the one Andres, with whom I used to work/cooperate in Afferden/Druten near Nijmengen?
Van Heemstraweg 32.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8822773,5.6511817,3a,90y,185.68h,86.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stpz5rbGYC7kJeCOpF-b_QA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
May be some 15 years ago.

Muleslow.net, which hosts the Bluefish:

Edited by digizar - Sep 14 2019 at 11:03pm
Andres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2019 at 9:15pm
Good point, the biggest downside when using the website builder provided by the host is:
1: backups, well there should be a way to download the file with FileZilla I guess ?
2:the website itself, looked at the builder and you can choose between templates who look in some wag all the same. And flexibility isn't a strong point. It's aimed at simplicity. A bot like making a blog with blogspot.
3: stuck with the provider.
4: what if the provider suddenly thinks there service is worth twice the money they ask now ?
5: in short you're totally depending on the hosting service.

Yep I prefer to make a site on my own devices, using the webbuilder by the host was just a thought.

Further: 15 years ago I was working as a household appliance mechanic in the south, Brabant. So it's was probably someone else.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Greetings Andres

digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Andres Andres wrote:

Good point, the biggest downside when using the website builder provided by the host is:
1: backups, well there should be a way to download the file with FileZilla I guess ?
What file if everything is gone? Or the access isn't possible anymore?
Means if you do not need to recover, you have access, everything is fine.
But if you need access, you don't have a chance.
It's not only to recover YOUR websiteContent, but if meanwhile someone else places junk on your space?
Happy recovering that junk. LOL
Even if you could recover -after the provider restored the pages from his internal backup-, it might be a very old version, which needs some 'fine tuning'. Can you remember all the changes of the last quarter(s)? Good boy. Big smile

No way else, you have to have to possess your newest website - always.
Even if your facility burns down completely. So, what about a cloud?

Edited by digizar - Sep 16 2019 at 4:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic