BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OpenElement & existing sites

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OpenElement & existing sites
    Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:24pm
Hello dear OpenElement team

I'm reading the avilable forum sections names, in a couple of the in red is written "don't use this section to post questions about use/how to"

well, but next it is not present a specific section for posting "questions about the use" "how to do this/that"

Why don't adding a specific one? Wink

I've discovered your project right today, but I encounter a first and straight problem, the impression is that your program could be really helpful when starting a brand new project and so a new website... but how to deal with an existing one?

Thank you if you will move this question to the right forum section, since I can't figure out which the right one could be.

Roberto
Corsari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:26pm
In other words:
is it possible to import an existing website?

Will the OpenElement program import and setup correctly the various jquery plugins and CSSes?

Thank you

Roberto
Gorksmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gorksmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 6:48pm
These kind of questions go into the general discussion forum (probably).
OE creates specific .htm files that use custom IDs and cross-browser compatibility stuff. You can however use all of the same content and transfer it over very quickly which in the end you have a better website.

hope this helps
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 9:43am
Hi.

openElement, being a "generator" of site code rather than HTML editor, cannot import existing sites. There are ways to facilitate the conversion: copy-paste formatted text from an HTML page opened in a browser, copy-paste parts of HTML code into the Code Blocks, move external script files to Files/Other to make sure OE publishes them online automatically, etc.

Good day
D
Corsari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 2:00pm
Hello Dmit, thank you for the clarification

I want to share with you my first impression. I must do a premise, who is writng, is someone in the web since the web begin Wink, though I'm not an HTML5/CSS/AJAX guru

Well, the project looks pretty interesting, but together with brand new newbies entering in the web sites developing/design, you should consider that for spreading the program, it could be useful to write some "import tutorial", since people approaching to openElement, could think that this should also be an html editor, while you do confirm that opening and working with an existing website, it is not the best approach and even it could not "work".

So, maybe in the home "screen" when anyone runs for the first time openElement, it would be good to clarify this sort of "limitation" together with providing an "how to correctly manage to import an existing website". This tutorial could also help the openElement begginers (like me) to better understand the concepts.

In the mean time, one kind curiosity: openElement with jquery. Do you provide any kind of facilitation inserting jquery plugins? Or openElement treats jquery as any other html editor.

Thank you for any reply

Though, in my settings I have setup tp get mails when replieas are posted to posts, but I have not received any (now I check the spam). I have checked by myself if any reply has been posted.

Ciao!

Edited by Corsari - Jan 27 2014 at 2:04pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 2:04pm
It happens sometimes that reply notifications are not delivered, though usually they are delivered correctly.

I think the warning you propose may be useful, but I don't know where to put it - anyway people have a tendency to ignore written instructions, even if they are right in the center of the home page. We are opened to suggestions in this respect..
Corsari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 2:40pm
Just as personal curiosity, which is the goal of this project? e.g. is it for "internal use" for you/your team only or it should become popular and hopefully being used from many people over the world or what ever else? thank you for the clarification.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 2:44pm
It is for everyone's use, the goal is as many happy usersas possible. openElement is rather popular in France, but it is never easy to "go out", and almost noone in the English-speaking commutiny is talking about us at the moment.
Corsari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 3:47pm
Here it is the point,

but I wanted you to say that.

In my work, I must consider so much the "understanding-level" of the persons that may land on my websites, since mine it is an high-competition-level-environment (data recovery from hdds, raids, nases, flash drives) and being pretty well indexed is not enough: 
the next must is 
---> when people lands on the website, the communication level must be as best as possible, otherwise the effort given to the indexing job will be trashed and lost

the parallelism with your case is this:
my feeling (not yet dived into openElement, so just feelings) is that this program could break and do great results in the web editors field, but ..

our indexing effort could be compared with the effort you have put in the quality and features of the program... but next, you (first impression) fail in the communication (and in SEO too)

Additionally there is a "popular belief" that says "French people are closed in their mother language", sometime people kids on the fact that as example the computer you call it "ordinateur", well your videos in francaise only are not agood idea

If you want to break into the html editors world, you must consider to increase the weight of the english language, since for some reasons the web talks English (mainly)

Also your indexing (SEO), should be reworked in the english perspective, using typical english queries used by people that are searching for an editor, I'm figuring out so many in this exact moment. I say this because I've found you for a casuality and not for a straight SERP result.
(e.g. maybe that for my job, I must work on SEO so much  :-) )

Anyway, j'erray , the point is the best communication as possible and the best "first steps guide" as possible, to allow people to decide to dive into the program, since I would bet that so many have tried it out and abandoned the idea to dive into its features, I would say abandoned and uninstalled it even before to give it a chance.

So, if you permit me to give you some suggestions, most of them are written above, but the most important one is to "work" on two issues
- 1th . when people launches the program for the first time, they must have a big link available to be clicked that leads to a well written "Basic principles about openElement" and how the program is intended to be used for and together with it a first basic site and tutorial to realize it, for that one, as a good example, I would suggest you this guide http://www.lingulo.com/tutorials/css/how-to-build-a-html5-website-from-scratch  ( I find it one of the best formulations I've ever seen ), additionally that tutorial talks straghtly of one of the most requested arguments --> HTML5 and CSS3/4

- 2nd to catch people that must deal with an existing website, the best practices to import an existing website, again hopefully with some examples

- toghether and simultaneously with the points 1 and 2, think about the indexing (SEO), since also the title of the main page of your website, sorry but, it is "wrong".

Cor

Edited by Corsari - Jan 27 2014 at 3:52pm
Corsari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corsari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 3:54pm
Also the meta description is completely wrong (on the SEO perspective)

Completely free! Create and manage websites more efficiently using our powerful & intuitive editor. Generates SEO-ready and W3C-compliant HTML/CSS/PHP code. Free website templates are available

wrong title + wrong meta description, makes the SEO 80% wrong

Edited by Corsari - Jan 27 2014 at 3:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic