BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apache 2.4 .httacess file syntax change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apache 2.4 .httacess file syntax change
    Posted: Mar 31 2018 at 8:22pm
My web host has upgraded his servers to Apache 2.4 which requires a syntax change to the .htaccess file. The old, now invalid syntax was:
<Files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Files>

The new valid syntax is:
<Files .htaccess>
Require all denied
</Files>

The old syntax causes an access error when anyone tries to open the web site. OpenElement rewrites the .htaccess file to the old syntax every time I upload a page change. I have to manually correct the .htaccess file syntax on the host server after every update (I use FileZilla for this).
I can't find where the old syntax is located in OpenElement, so I can't correct it.

digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 8:46pm

DHill18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 10:35pm
Thanks for the reply, but adding a free script with the correct code doesn't change the program's behavior; it still puts the wrong syntax code at the top of the file which causes the access error:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@wvgsor.org to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I even tried adding "#Protect .htaccess" to the script in the hopes it would override OpenElement's version, but it just adds the free script to the bottom of the file, the wrong syntax gets run first from the top of the file, and the web access error recurs. There is no option in the 'Add a command' window for substituting the default "#Protect .htaccess" command, and the code sequence for the #Protect command doesn't appear in the 'Default commands'.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2018 at 9:24pm
Hi.

A huge amount of websites use this code, which is why Apache provides a compatibility workaround. Is there a way to enable the compatibility module mod_access_compat ? (as seen here https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/upgrading.html#page-header )
DHill18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2018 at 8:10am
I don't manage my providers servers, and I'm sure I'm not the only OpenElement user in this situation.
I need a way to change the .httaccess file code that OpenElement is pushing up to the server whenever I send page updates. As things stand now, I have to edit the .httaccess syntax in my web site's directory on the server after each update. And yes, I got an email last weekend from our society's president who tried to access the site during the time it was taking me to edit the file - it happens, and I'm sure our site isn't all that busy. So I have to think that others are also having issues. We need access to the code from OpenElement.

DHill18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2018 at 8:13am
Sorry, that font size looks like I was yelling! I'm not really.Wink
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2018 at 12:32pm
I note this issue; meanwhile, your options:

- When publishing the website via OE, you can manually uncheck .htaccess to prevent it from uploading.

- Check your provider's settings (if you have Control Panel of any kind) or contact them to as whether the compatibility module mod_access_compat can be activated. It looks very strange to me that they don't activate it, maybe they had technical reasons but they may still activate it selectively for your account?
DHill18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 9:39pm
Preventing OpenElement from uploading the file would be a workable solution.
How is this done?
DHill18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHill18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2018 at 2:43am
Sorry. Never mind I found it when I published a page.
Solution works great. Much simpler than revising the file every time, and there's no down time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic