BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Error Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Image killer, don't do this ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Image killer, don't do this ...
    Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 1:51pm
When one 'adds' an image out of the existing OE Files, that image is lost.
Agreed, not a situation of everyday.

What I did:
I manually modified (with GIMP) an existing image in /Files/Image/*.jpg (or any subdirectory).
Next step I wanted to (re-)add that image onto the same location (Add Files ... mark ... Select).
That image disappeared completely. No OE-Recycle bin, no Sytems Recycle bin. Gone with the wind.

Could that be changed somewhen? Please.
No urgency for me (anymore), but a newbe might be tempted to say same very bad words - which wouldn't help anyway.

Recommendation:
Keep ALL your images in a separate location, (modify) and invoke (Mark & Select-right mouse button-) it them from there.

Dmit said this to me once upon a time, but I did not 'understand'. I learnt it the hard way.
But I always! have a backup of the project - always. That saved my ass several times, especially when I am new to an unknown environment, as still with the OpenElement.

That is my third project with oE, still under work.
I tend to keep things simple and clean, no gimmicks:
https://schreibmaschinenmuseum.org/

Edited by digizar - Jun 29 2017 at 2:03pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 3:33pm
Hi.

If I understood correctly: you've added an image, then you've again added an image (modified) with the same file name? Usually this works.. Please describe how to reproduce it with an empty test project.
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2017 at 5:49pm
No, not quite.

If I take an existing image of /Files/Image/*.jpg,
modify it or not,
and ADD it with 'Files Add', and right-mouse-click' it (Select it)
back to the same place as orginated.
That makes it disappear.

Taking a file to add, not from */Files/Image/*, is ok (normal procedure); it replaces an existing file (or adds it) of that name.
But obviously, if one takes an existing file to 'replace itself', that file disappears (with oE).
Seems as if 'recursive copy' just wipes it out. I can't remember precisely from my MS-Studio time, if that ist a native system behaviour; I guess yes.

Probably no one ever might use that procedure, but if ist was done, the image is gone completely.
It happened to me, when I had just a minor change of the image. Und I thought to make it the q&d short way. I took it directly from 'Files/Image/*.jpg' - modified it with GIMP, and then just tried to 'activate' (re-add) it for the oE project. Surprise, gone.

Edited by digizar - Jun 29 2017 at 6:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic