BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Backgrounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backgrounds
    Posted: Mar 20 2017 at 5:57pm
1.57.4 - Settings ... Software Skins ... Light
Site Explorer (as an example):
When a file is beeing renamed, that 'underlay background' of that field should (really must) be HIGH lightet, and NOT (never) be of dark color. Now it became some type of greenish, which is really not ledgible. In my screenshot it's gray, but in fact it has the color of the 'Show Guide Lines ...' button.

Make it pale or intense yellow, please. For ALL accessible fields; also for the file's name line above the editor area.

Edited by digizar - Mar 20 2017 at 9:02pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2017 at 10:34pm
Hi,

On my screen it looks rather readable (both "gray" and "green" cases). Did you try the Dark skin, to see if it fits your screen / ambien light better?
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2017 at 11:53pm
Yes, I tried the dark screen.
That really looks as agly as under my bed, dark & dusty. Geek
That is the ugliest skin I have seen ever, sorry.

Since about 40 years I was in the electronic PC-business; especially in intelligent monitor development.
There is a manifested rule: White/Chreme Backgrund, Black Characters. Aquivalent for colored versions. No exceptions. That corresponds with the health organisations. It has been enforced since the early 80s (Tandberg).

So that is why I recommended the (light)yellow backgound, and in contrast dark letters.

My monitors are 1920 x 1080. @ 24". LG-E2441.

Please, follow my recommandation. Believe me, it is to the advantage of the product.
I offer you to perform the modification(s) w/o any cost. If that is possible.
Time & money do not play a vital role for me.

Edited by digizar - Mar 21 2017 at 12:00am
Larsene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2017 at 11:24am
Hi Digizar,

I'm really surprised with your answer about the new interface.

You're right, perhaps some adjustement could be made, or a new theme added to fit everyone preferences.

When we're working on design tools, such as Ilustrator, Photoshop, or even Affinity Designer, who won the Apple Design awards (and i'm really loving working with this tool : this is really a great job in design the interface), the rule is to use a gray interface, called usually the 18% neutral gray rule.

This is to avoid collateral effects, like the ability to perceive colors, and even size accurately (the Adelson's Same Color Illusion)

So, i agree, the white theme is a little too white for me and the darker a little too dark, but i highly prefer this one. But, i'm absolutely not keen on using yellowish interfaces as more and more monitors used a "blue light filter", who reinforce the yellow color....

I'm using two ViewSonic 2778 (calibrated and mounted on ergonomic stand) in 2560x1440px.

But again, perhaps they can try your suggestion. Could you propose a mock-up interface with your suggestions ?
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2017 at 12:15pm
Well, I see your point. It's not that I couldn't work with the 'greenish' light design. But it's hard for me. I am 77 years. No glasses yet. But the color/light intenstity slowly begins to weaken. One of these days you buddies will have the same experience, I hope. *grin*

The Affinity seems to be a great tool. Even for an acceptable price.

But there ist a difference between (moving) shows and static text.
Static text should be clearly ledgible at once, thereby any moving display ist not that critical in appearance. Since the eye focuses on the whole object, there are no details required.
In text, on contrast, it focuses on that single entity only, and if that element does not have sufficient contrast, it can not be read on the spot, one has to 'decipher' the content. Black on gray p.e. would be completely unacceptable. White on black is possible (dark skin), but it strains the eye - as health organisations said 'centuries' ago. So, in germany it became a law: Black on White.

As far as I know software design, there might/should be a common table to determine the various colors of the elements.
My proposal would be, to offer that table to the public, so everybody could select their preference. At least for the relevant elements.
Nothing more. Smile
The layout itself is completely ok.

One more point.
I am neither bitching, yelling or claiming, I am proposing positively.
Just that the americans called me 'German Nightmare'; but that was a compliment.
Also, the question is, if there is a 'none-public channel of communication' available.
Because not every detail might be welcome to the public reputation of this excellent product.

Edited by digizar - Mar 21 2017 at 5:13pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2017 at 12:58pm
You can always write me a private message (click on my name on the left to access this option)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic