BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Online Store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Online Store
    Posted: Aug 03 2015 at 10:08am
Hi,

I would like to suggest designing the option to create online stores using your software. I have tried every possible but can't seem to get it right with what is available to me. I am currently using  Version 1.50 R1

Thank you.

Regards,
Starblade
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2015 at 10:27am
Re-hi,

This very moment we are working on integrating the OpenCart eCommerce solution. But it will most probably be paid (we still hesitate on whether the most basic functionality set should be paid or free).
IonChristopher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IonChristopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2015 at 9:08pm
DmitOE, (Je crois Dmitre?) Je suis content de vous connaitre, tu et OE.

My French is not good enough to understand the details of the audio of your tutes. I tried but was frustrated - because there is quite a lot of idiom and so on, but it would take someone more fluent no time to record an audio track in English to go with it - and an editor can easily substitute one audio track for another, if you would post the video on say Google Drive for direct download with a note somewhere.

Brandon's videos (11 of them totaling about 90 min) are quite good. I hope he adds a followup to just discuss what else he has learned without necessarily starting over.

My thoughts as an old super-expert computer guy: OE is having a slow time catching on for specific reasons. The most important of which is the migration of the masses to WP. OE will have an appeal at the top of the list for Creatives and for Designers, who overlap. The designers would be interested in the advantages of a static layout site that doesn't offer as many opportunities to hackers, for example. Creatives will prefer their own HTML5 canvas and workflow, with overhead elements taken care of. Everyone will appreciate the lower overhead of a static site (or client-side js) which means they will comport with the EULAS of basic shared servers.

OE is also being arrested unfairly by general misconceptions about its competitive nature, versus other site-builders and editors. Some clarity on this is difficult because it involves a great deal of expertise and experience with that topic - and the experts have largely switched over to blogging platforms. The last great success story that was very well supported by experts was Kompozer, which I still recommend for basic speed of learning and execution of most sites that are still based on XHTML. Especially over its intended replacement by the same coder, Blue Griffon (which costs $90 for far less functionality than OE.)

I suggest that market share is the most critical target. Microsoft recently has had a rethink in this area. Their premium products have long and still often have very long trial periods, up to 90 days. This is a fair trial. Autocad offers 3 years use of programs under a commercial restrictive license that has teeth with the barrier between student and professional - but there are no differences in the software itself.

Myself, I have transitioned from tech to fiction to philosophy and so I am even poorer than a migrant worker. My website, once I get the hang of this, will be 49Miracles.com. It is currently UUNIS.net.

Merci
Home is where the laundry is.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2015 at 9:30pm
Hi,

Thank you for the pertinent comment.

- We should really look into the video part, and see if it's feasible to replace the audio track and keep it comprehensive// and find someone to do it. BEsides, the videos are very old and some are obsolete.

- We currently put nearly all the efforts into the eCommerce integration, which is a big reason of the lack of popularity of openElement, and into manipulating relatively-positioned content for creating responsive designs, which is another big reason of the abovementioned lack. Once done, and hopefully having some financial relief, we may try to get the most gaping holes closed up, notably in the user guides. By the way, have you checked the Wiki (which is translated)?

- I am thinking of the best way to integrate WordPress into openElement, to at least have the WP's backoffice to edit posts that are integrated into the pages, one way or another; this could be something certain wordpressers might appreciate.

- Our primary target segment is "individual" professionals and small companies (<10 people), though we see many amateurs using OE and occasionally getting some nice websites done. Existing products are not well adapted, and in any case there's always a place for the free tool in the toolbox, along with other solutions.

Good day
D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IonChristopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 1:30am
WP integration might be a brilliant coup.

Yes, the wiki is very nicely written. Just needs to be continued. Some attention needs to be paid to use of keywords for related concepts that may not translate exactly. I know OE has features related to Image Mapping but that I can't find with "image map," nor "image hot spots," for example. I am a big believer in very effective search and use of keyword "breadcrumbing" as a distinct technique. Like, "related concepts."

I also notice a problem with the divided effort between the Forum versus the Wiki. The Wiki is designed to be a superior solution (depending on execution) because of the use of a database to manage keywords. This is not always used effectively, even when understood. (You add or update a keyword and it becomes global. You associate things via the keyword on special pages....) Wikis can manage forum conversations effectively, and mediawiki is the obvious leader at combining these functions.

The forum has many tiny tips, even your comments by way of conversing. But it is not really organized, or possible to organize for comprehensive help. By the way, this has been a specialty of mine since 1986. One thing possible is to headline an index. An index is basically a manual Wiki database. You can add summaries of each actual solution and a unique search function, or hack the site's search results to show the index prominently.

Merci.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IonChristopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 3:11am
Here is a modern and universal take on help systems in general that I think everyone can relate to. Complexity has gone so far over the top (of what people can manage) that advances in technology is almost moot. For example, I had to spend more than half an hour just to get this url for you. Every new variable causes an exponential increase in things that can go wrong. The issues of market leadership and original innovation must be joined by an equal player of quality control in several categories. The most critical remains so arrested in development that help systems today are still behind those of pre-hypertext days.... ::(

http://www.redsharknews.com/business/item/2792-please-don-t-make-cameras-like-washing-machines-camera-menu-systems?utm_source=www.lwks.com
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 9:38am
Wiki and forum are complementary; usually one would start by reading the basics in the Wiki, try to find the subject, then search in the forum to bring up posts containing certain words. The main problem of the English version of the forum is that there's still too few users and useful posts; more the forum gets popular, easier it becomes to find answers.

To compensate all the drawbacks, we try to be there to answer all questions, for now people seem to be happy with the "live support"; when there will be too many users to do it this way, they will help one another more often, and there will be more existing posts on all important subjects.
We are extremenly busy and limited in resources (considering that the software is free), we cannot easily afford what big companies can, but we compensate it by certain things they can't do by their nature..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic