BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can't drag elements onto page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't drag elements onto page
    Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 2:12am
Im just playing with the new version 1.57R9, and the SensBlack template, and trying to create a website, but I have a problem I can't figure out.

I have edited the Homepage of the template, no problem.  I created a couple of new pages, and put a background image on them.  I tried putting an element on the pages, and it won't let me.  When I drag and drop an element from the sidebar, it just shows the circle with the line thru it indicating you can't do that function.  All the elements are the same.  I've tried everything I can think of, and it just won't let me add any elements to the pages.

Any ideas?

MG

Edited by MetalGuru - Sep 23 2017 at 11:05pm
Thanks
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 10:08am
If you create a new empty page does it work? Does your page inherit a layer?
MetalGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2017 at 11:01pm
I was playing more with it, I can only drag elements to a single line at the very top of the page, under the menu.  The page is set to have a baselayer which is the site menu.  After I have an element on the page, say a picture, I can put more stuff in that area, but only to the width of the original element.

If I put a frame on the page, I can drag elements into the frame, but I can't place them in the frame anywhere I want, only at the upper left corner.  If I try to move them, they just snap back to the corner.  Putting another element in the frame snaps it up against the first element.  I have tried the position settings, but the only selections are centered and in the corners.  There is no way to randomly place an element manually.

Is there any way to turn this position snapping off?

Not real happy with this new version/template.  There seems to be a lot of bugs in it.

With 1.57R4, I could put stuff anywhere I want on a page.  Also, with the new version/template, I can not resize a picture by dragging the lower right corner.  Instead of resizing the image, it only resizes the viewport on the image.  Not sure if this is something in the template or the software version.

Sometimes when I try to click on another tab to change to a different page, the editor crashes more often than not and I have to restart it. 

I have an element background slider on my home page, with several images in it.  It cycles through the images the first time OK, but when it cycles back to the first image, the last image is not erased, so they both appear.  Only when the cycle gets to the second image are the previous images erased.  Tried several things including a blank image for the last image in the table, but nothing stops this from happening.  Think it might have something to do with the fact that some of the images have a transparent background.

MG

Edited by MetalGuru - Sep 23 2017 at 11:08pm
Thanks
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2017 at 9:22pm
You first points concern the "relative" positioning mode, when elements follow each other. This is far from being a drawback, it is really hard to make a responsive website without it. If you want to have a region where you put elements "as you wish", ass a Group of Elements then put elements inside it. Or start a new page without a layer imposing the relative positioning, but then how will you make it mobile-friendly? (I don't want you to get into the same situation as many other users here, "- I've made my website all is ok bot not on smartphones, what do I do? - Well, redo your whole site?".
By the way it's not because of newer version, the mode is there for quite a while it's because of the base layer of this template.

Concerning the crashes, it may be project-specific, please try to see if there is anything particular (maybe your interface layout) that may provoke it.

I am not sure that in 1.57R4 there were less crashes. More - probably. But they were not the same.

Background Slider: maybe it's an older version of this element, here's the ZIP with the new one:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3daBEI1z4o2Vjg0Q3RLaXRUT0k

You should extract and put the DLL file into Common/Elements in your project folder (use Project->Other->Open the project folder). Then reopen the project. If the problem persists, please send me your project.
MetalGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:02am
I think it is just a matter of not knowing how to use "responsive" mode.  That is exactly why I wanted to try this template, my old website does not work on smartphones as you said. 

Is there some kind of tutorial on how this works?  One that's in English, not French?

1.57R4 seems relatively stable.  I have been using it for quite a while and it seems to work well.

I'll let you know how the background slider works.

Thanks.
Thanks
MetalGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MetalGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 1:26am
So, I figured out the problem with the background slider.  The issue was the first photo in the group had a transparent background, so when it opened, the previous photo was still visible behind it.

I would think that the background slider should erase the previous photo befor loading the new one so this does not happen.

Anyway, I have found a workaround, I just replaced the offending photo with a new one that does not have a transparent background.

MG
Thanks
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2017 at 7:41am
The slider uses transitions so it can't just erase previous images to not break it (and it would create a blink effect on the end of transition).

Check in the User Tutorials subforum, particularly http://forum.openelement.com/en/forum_posts.asp?TID=342&title=a-few-english-video-tutorials

The Relative mode by itself is not that hard, you put elements aside already added elements, and use Group of Elements to create zones; then you use widths in %, and Media Queries to change styles, sizes and positions for different screen size ranges.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic