BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Error Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

memory crash 1578 resolved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: memory crash 1578 resolved
    Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 6:33pm
It looks like an error. It took me some time to find the culprit.
When I optimize the images, the memory seems to fill up an just qits the process if it overflows.
Project > Mantenance > Optimize. It runs for awhile, and at the end it asks for confirmation.
It looks like oe collected all optimized entities in memory, and after confirmation it spits them out.
Indicated by the *.upd extension.
I have about just 70 jpg images, which until now are running perfectly if I do not load/keep any other (huge) program in memory (like GIMP).
My memory ist 4 GB. I tested w and w/o virual memory; both versions crashed.
Even destroyed one of the original jpg files.
After the crash, only few *.upd indications were created.
The GUI was gone, too. The icon was visible. Nothing in taskmanager.
The task manager did not show the memory being filled up, and kept the used memory indication well under 4 GB.
So, it means that it crashed somwhere in the middle of the process of spitting out the optimized versions.
My system is Win-7-64 prof in english, 4GB memory, and several SSHDs, dual head monitors.
The condition is fixed reproducable, not just 'once upon a time'.
If you'd need the source, gimmi a note, pls.

The biggest trouble came from my malwarebytes (full lifetime version) protection.
See screen shot: http://digispics.com/_OE/_crash/Snap_2017.04.19_18h00m36s_002_.jpg
I don't believe it is ransomware, but it might serve as a hint.
It killed the openelement.exe off the system, immediately gone wherever, no one knews.
I tried to simply copy the openelement.exe back to the system, but it denied, even if it did not appear als present.
I had to re-install openelement completely.
But I could not delete the existing version, because the openelement.exe was not available anymore.
I had to remove the complete directory manually (WindowsExplorer), to be able to setup the program again.
Since te openelement.exe was not accessible, I could not delete that directory; only after a system restart, which obviously 'freed' the 'hidden' openelement.exe.
The openelement.exe was somewhere, though. But could not be seen, also not in the malwarebytes quarantine. Probably marked as 'invisible', although the system would show them.
That prevented me from deleting that particular file openelement.exe. So I had to reboot the system,
to remove the directory completely - and only then I could re-install.
Well, w/o malwarebytes it simply crashed (and made the mentioned confusion with *.ubd), but kept the program in place.

My proposal resp re-installation:
The system handler (Control Panel, Programms and Features) should/could provide an option *repair*.

My proposal resp the images crash:
Ask for confirmation before the optimizing process would actually start. So, the optimized images could immediately be put back to the drive piece after piece. One could tell the saved space at the end, anway, if required at all.
I ask for that, because I intend to create a website with nearly 10.000 jpg images.

Nevertheless, someone else could save some headaches:
That's why I report it here.

Edited by digizar - May 29 2017 at 2:29pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 8:19pm
The report of Malwarebytes is very worrisome. However, I have downloaded the latest version of Malwarebytes and scanned the OE application folder (including openElement.exe) and nothing was detected.

1) Did Malwarebytes detect other problems on your computer? It is possible that the computer is infected and thus openElement.exe got infected as well.

2) Where did you download openElement from - is it the link above (not an external  file downloading site)?
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 8:21pm
P.S. Here's the analysis result on virustotal.com (you can see Malwarebytes in the middle of the list):

https://virustotal.com/en/file/051a13a30b03a824623db6563c09962b9986a6569844423af1bcd03e8b09229a/analysis/1492629581/
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 8:22pm
P.P.S. One more possibility is that openElement has crashed so badly that memory got filled with some garbage that Malwarebytes took as a virus signature or something like that...
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 8:32pm
Concerning other points:

- We recently had a "better" installtool that provided "Repair" versions etc. The problem is, this (sometimes I regret I can't use certain words here) installer was capable of erazing all the content in the target folder, ex. the whole external hard drive. So we returned to the older installer.

- Could you please send me your project that leads to the crash?
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 10:59pm
Don't care about the installer. If nothing goes wrong, it's working just fine.
For the crash malwareytes:
I think, the malwarebytes is just a side effect.
That program constantly watches the complete system.
And as soon as it finds something stinky, it removes it. Basta.
We can not change that bevavior.
That program runs since min 5 years now, no complaint ever.

Important is the crash as such. It does not happen occasionally, it is constant.
Which happens also without the malwarebytes (if that is disabled and taken out from memory).
And the system being loaded with some huge stuff (GIMP pe).
I think the culprit is some short of memory, overflow, ...

I uploaded the complete project to an intermediate/working domain.
That domain belongs to you now. Big smile
Access name & pw-code ist sent via PN (hopefully).

Again: 4 GB memory, heavily loaded with programs (like GIMP) incl openelement.
During the optimization process the task manager stays well below 4 GB.
Which of course could be a plain lie from M$.
I have more tools to investigate the system, but I think that the crash can be duplicated w/o arming that havy stuff.

Any question? Just give me a note.

Edited by digizar - Apr 19 2017 at 11:08pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 11:35pm
Let's see if I understood correctly.

In OE, you go into the Project->Resources

While on the Images tab, you click the Optimize button (did you select all images before doing this?)

After optimization starts, you get the crash?

Note: 4GB is not very much, if you run GIMP and/or other heavy programs, openElement may run out of memory relatively fast (even though there are major fixes to memory usage in the latest version). Optimization tool is an external third-party program (though it seems that it's openElement itself that crashes).
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Dmit OE Dmit OE wrote:

Let's see if I understood correctly.
In OE, you go into the Project->Resources
While on the Images tab, you click the Optimize button (did you select all images before doing this?)
After optimization starts, you get the crash?

Note: 4GB is not very much, if you run GIMP and/or other heavy programs, openElement may run out of memory relatively fast (even though there are major fixes to memory usage in the latest version). Optimization tool is an external third-party program (though it seems that it's openElement itself that crashes).
No, no, I use
Project ... Preferences ... Maintenance ... Optimize
No image to select.
The optimize process starts immediately w/o confirmation (unusal).
When the process finishes, the result is displayed.
I need to hit to confirm these optimizations.

And whush, the openelement is gone; the GUI and the exe. No malwareytes involved. Obviously somewhere in the middle of the re-write process, because some few *.upd files are created. As I guess the optimization process collects all modified files in memory, and spits them out after that confirmation. Which would be desaster, if someone had alot of images.
I think, the (external 3rd party) optimization process crashes, and tears openelement along to the nirvana.
The system comes with a system popup remark, that the memory can not be read.

After a restart, it appears that an (one) image-file was in error (size = 0):

Edited by digizar - Apr 20 2017 at 12:46am
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 1:40pm
Added warning and automatic backup copy of the project before optimization.

If you ever experience the crash again, please send me all images or, even better, the whole zipped project folder
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2017 at 1:34pm
You may close this event.
Everything so far works fine.
No explanation for that cause.
Thank you again for your support.

Small hickups - but one can perfectly live with these minor micro flaws.
Good, excellent tool. Keep on rolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j5Z0K3K2bs

Edited by digizar - May 29 2017 at 1:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic