BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Error Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

[FIXED] openElement deleted all my programs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirth379 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [FIXED] openElement deleted all my programs
    Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 3:58am
I installed openElement on my computer, and it deleted everything in my Programs file. Everything. The only thing left in my programs file is openElement.

All the programs I use to run my business are gone.

I guess you get what you pay for. Lesson learned.

Edited by Dmit OE - Jan 30 2017 at 10:09am
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 8:02am
Hi.

Apart of one other user's report (where you have commented as well) we've never got reports that OE deletes anything. Furthermore, normally Windows does not allow an installer to delete other programs even if it tries, question of security. And as far as I know OE installer has nothing in it that would try to delete other programs (otherwise we would have known, there are thousands of downloads/installations per month).

What Window version are you using? Can you try to use a Restore Point, or Undelete (avoid working with your computer to be able to do it best)? Are programs' shortcuts still present (was it a delete or content of Program Files, or an seemingly impossible uninstall of everything?)

When you installed OE, did you change the installation folder (or anything else)?

Whether or not it's OE's fault or a horrible Windows bug, we are really sorry for what happened, and hope that you can help us find the cause.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 8:08am
P.S. Important question: the name of OE folder in Program Files - is it just "openElement" or does it contain the version number (ex. openElement 1.56 R4)?

P.P.S. Where did you get the OE installer, did you download it from some third-party website by any chance?
Larsene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2017 at 8:41am
Hi,

I'm totally surprised by the problem you encounter ! I'm using OpenElement for years now, and developping commercials add-on for it, and never be facing this.

Moreover, i'm using it on a smal training center on 20 computers without any problem.

And this is strictly impossible : an install simply can't delete anything in ProgramFiles, 'cause it have'nt the right to do it, even on a old Windows 7.

Did you try to install it directly in ProgramFiles instead of ProgramFiles/OpenElement ??
mirth379 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirth379 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 2:20am
Yes, I did change the installation folder, because I have 2 hard drives. The smaller SSD holds Windows 7 Home. The larger one, which is a mechanical drive, holds everything else.. I've had this setup for years, without a problem. I have a folder on the bigger drive that acts as the program files folder, and whenever I install something, I have to change the installation path. I changed the installation path to L:\Programs\OpenElement.

What it did was, instead of making and installing in its own folder like every other program over the years, it made its home in the Programs folder, and deleted everything else that wasn't OpenElement.  The folder it installed itself in was still called Programs, not OpenElement, with or without a version number. I downloaded it from http://www.openelement.com/Download.htm.

The rest of the files were mostly sent to l:\AI_RecycleBin, with a few to the actual recycle bin.  I managed to recover about a third of the programs, however, the majority of the smaller files within the programs were corrupted or overwritten.  The problem isn't in reinstalling these programs, since I have the installation files and dvds.  The headache is in setting everything up again, plug ins, settings, preferences, to the way I've had these programs for years. Two of them I'm going to have to call the companies and explain what happened so they can reset the licenses.

Probably if I had installed it conventionally into Programs (x86) it would have not done this.  Again, I've been doing this for years, and have never had a problem with any other software.

And, Larsene, I don't appreciate being told that "this is strictly impossible," since it happened.  The install did, in fact, delete everything. Because it has never happened to you doesn't make it impossible.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 7:57am
Larsene meant that the default Program Files folder is well protected by Windows. In your case it becomes possible indeed, while installing to the default destination is safe.

In your case you could have run the Undelete tool immediately, this would have restored some of your applications, settings etc., I think (Recycle Bin complicates things). Maybe it's not too late? (Don't use Windows recovery tools)

I think there's a big error, either on our part or in the install generator we use for the latest version, which provoked this scenario with your specific choice (it's in no way your fault of course). It may even be fixed already (after the other post you've seen), otherwise we will look into this ASAP to save other users from the same nightmare.

We are deeply sorry.
Larsene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 8:32am
Hi mirth379,

thanks for your answer and explanation.

to test this scenario, i've used one virtual box machine (WinXP, i don't have win7 virtual machine set)

I've created a repertory Programs on the drive N:

i've put some files in it. then i've run the installer. I've changed the destination directory on the installer to install it on this directory. The installer proposed me N:\Programs\openElement \openElement 1.56 R4, so i forced it to install on N:\Programs\openElement 1.56 R4.

But the install works well and don't erase anything N:\Programs.

I retry the install to force it to install and the N:\Programs\ directly (and manually delete the default directory install :  openElement 1.56 R4)

With this setup, that's right, the installer delete anything in the install directory.but this is expected, of course ! Other installer works like that to clear the install directory.

Perhaps OE can add a security in the installer to force the creation of the default directory \openElement 1.56 R4\, even if the user delete it.

Edited by Larsene - Jan 27 2017 at 8:34am
djju1029 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djju1029 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 8:09pm
How is it going on until now?
I am going to download and install OE into another computer but I am afraid of having same nightmare.
Which side has fault?
Larsene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larsene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 8:43pm
In fact, each sides has fault.

1- If you change the install directory, just be sure it is installed in ****/openElement1.56R4 (don't install it just is C:\Program Files (x86)\ ...

2- but that's true, OE developpers could check twice before cleaning the install directory. They could change it (And i'm sure they're already working on it).

If you need help or advice, let me know.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 10:11pm
Yes we are working on it, we will try to get it fixed for Monday. At the moment, the installer deletes the contents of the path (folder) you specify, so just be sure there's "openElement" at the end of it, and not just a location that exists and contains useful data.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic