BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Error Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

?Known problem with AOL email??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2016 at 9:11pm
I wrote you half-way two days ago but forgot to finish and send.

1) The difference may be caused by message headers. openElement uses well-known php-mailer script to send messages, which (correctly) creates headers that ar edifferent from what your Frontpage site could have generated. AOL may have problems with it for some reason.

2) Try a simple test script to send mails, if your hosting supports PHP mail() function without need to send via SMTP. Create in the Notepad a file "testmail.php" with the code like below and see if one or two messages arrive.:

TEST MAIL START<br>
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);
echo 'PHP start<br>';
$message = "Test message to AOL";
$r = mail('YOUR_AOL_ADDRESS', 'Test Mail AOL', $message);
echo "Mail result: ".(($r===false)?'Erreur':$r)." <br>";

echo "Another message with some headers:<br>";
    $headers = 'From: YOUR_FATCOW_SENDER_ADDRESS' . "\r\n" .
               'Reply-To: ' . "\r\n" .
               'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();   
    $r = mail('YOUR_AOL_ADDRESS', 'Test AOL Mail 2 (headers)', $message, $headers);
    echo "Mail2 result: ".(($r===false)?'Erreur':$r)." <br>";
}
echo 'PHP end<br>';
?>
TEST MAIL END<br>

dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 4:57pm
Thank you Dmit OE.

I will try and let you know.

I noticed that emails sent from  FatCow hosting my domain atulocal1342.org have headers, however the From: in the header of the received msg is the sending email address. This was noticed when i sent the email msg to a gmail account that forwarded it to the aol acct. The recipient when forwarding the msg to me noticed the to; email adrs was her adrs/ the to: email adrs. 

I do not know if this is the phpmailer or fatcow.  fatcow is not very responsive helping to resolve this issue. I provided header info and ip address to postmaster at aol and am waiting for reply.

Just some observations and info. Somehow i think the solution will be so simple...

Many thanks....

DThomas
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 5:33pm
I don't understand. The "From" header IS the sending email address (fatcow mailbox in your case), so it is correct.
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 2:25am
I added reqd info and used provided code. inserted it in the header code block area.
rcvd 500 error when loading. ask  fatcow to check svr logs.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

ALSO, i remain confused about the From: email adrs. Ideally i want it to be the value of a form text field as noted when configuring the Email Form element - after i get it to work with aol.

Consider, when any other user in browsing the website and completes the Contact form there is no association with any fatcow email address that i am aware of. The user is not logged into fatcow neither am i when testing. I will ask fatcow spt what if any is the default From: email adrs.

Thx.
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 4:23pm
It wasn't to be put into an OE page. If you want to do so, put the code into a Code Block type HTML (!) positoin StartDocument(!), and add the folloing line at the end:

<?php exit(); ?>

Concerning From: there's a way to use addresses provided by visitors, but 1) technically it's the server that sends the message, not the user him/herself; 2) the reason to put a fixed address is to please the recipient mailbox (AOL for example) as they will just destroy messages with ceretains From addresses without warning.
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 10:55pm
Dmit OE,

Thx very much.

I did  put the code in a code block at the beginning of the OE page. I didn't explain well.

Fatcow modified code (see below)  the first send mail attempt without headers was successfully received by the AOL recipient. No indication as to what happened with the second send mail with headers.

I continue to wait for error log/trace info from my request from FatCow.

I will place the php exit code as instructed and let you know.  Post fatcow response: apparently not necessary now.

I understand why it may not be ideal to place variable email addrs in the header as you explained. I will discuss the real need/desire of this with my client. I expect since the user is able to provide a email adrs in the form and pass it on as part of the msg it will be fine with a fixed adrs in the header.

Just revd fatcow response: stated syntax error line 31 which points to the page code as follows:

Line 31 seems to be the first of provided code as i used it.

TEST MAIL START<br>

<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

echo 'PHP start<br>';

$message = "Test message to AOL wo headers";

$r = mail('local1342@aol.com', 'Test Mail AOL no header', $message);

echo "Mail result: ".(($r===false)?'Error':$r)." <br>";

echo "Another message to AOL with headers:<br>";

$headers = 'From: daniel.546@gmail.com' . "\r\n" .

'Reply-To: ' . "\r\n" .

'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();  

$r = mail('local1342@aol.com', 'Test AOL Mail 2 (headers)', $message, $headers);

echo "Mail2 result: ".(($r===false)?'Error':$r)." <br>";

}

echo 'PHP end<br>';

?>

TEST MAIL END<br>

Does not make sense to me but i reran the page an it indicated no error. need to wait until tomorrow to see if AOL recipient got one or both ok.

Print of page output related to code:

TEST MAIL START
PHP start
Mail result: 1
Another message to AOL with headers:
Mail2 result: 1
PHP end
TEST MAIL END

Many thanks...  (will report results tomorrow)

DThomas
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 10:59pm
Regading the hosting site default email adrs.

fatcow states there is no default email address for the site/URL but did point out that and email adrs could be put in the code.

thx
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2016 at 11:04pm
I studied the code used (modified by fatcow) and it appears they added echo to the beginning of the TEST... lines. Seem to make sense.

thx
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2016 at 10:12am
I still think you've put it to the wrong place or to the wrong type of Code Block (PHP for example). TEST lines should not be preceded by echo as they are not inside <?php ... ?> blocks, they are plain HTML, which is the reason why the Code Block type should NOT be PHP. Could you please go into your Code Block and verify it's "Position" and "Type"?
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2016 at 10:15am
P.S. If mesage without headers is received by AOL and message with headers is not, it confirms my idea that AOL filters message by headers in its own way. In the worst case, you can just use Send Form element instead of Send Mail and process the user data yourself, sending them like this test script does, without headers that are blocked.You can find examples on the Web. (Data are written into $_POST, ex. $_POST['email'] is what the user entered into the field having "Name attribute" property set to "email" in OE.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic