BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Error Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

?Known problem with AOL email??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ?Known problem with AOL email??
    Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 3:48am
Is there a  known problem using the element Email Form sending a form msg to AOL address? The recipient is not getting the message. I have checked the spelling and syntax of the email address.

Thx.

DThomas
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2016 at 11:43am
Hi,

It is not necessarily related to the Email Form itself, it may be related to the Sender address for example. You can try using SMTP if you have any useable SMTP server (in the past one could have used GMail, after a certain number of authorisations to click here and there, but now I don't know if it still works).
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2016 at 7:14pm
Demit OE,

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion. Site is developed using OE 1.50 R4. However, i realize there are small variations in the url string components depending if the mail system is SMTP w or w/o security or SSL, mail, sendmail, or qmail. For the most part, they are similar with the simple inclusion or exclusion of correct parameters.

The logic to edit and compose the finished url? string should be successful by applying the technical requirements of the protocol and mail server in conjunction with editing to ensure correct parameters and string syntax. Given the fast growth of email variations in the past, I think the variations are vary much standardized by now.

I do not want to make a dependency on a mail server other than the hosting site server default. This OE website is hosted by FatCow. I have spent hours with them discussing and trying various methods and they are certain they have no contribution to the problem. They have no reports of problems sending email to AOL.

Sending email from OE to AOL using mail, sendmail, qmail or smtp w/o security does not arrive at the email destination - correct address no errors noted.

The OE support KB and community offer little possibly applicable sending email errors and nothing on AOL. I have attempted to use fatcow smtp service using all email protocol and security parameter combinations and the send is always unsuccessful connecting to the service with Error2, a catchall for timeout conditions.

I believe simple is best. Would you please consider using your resources to address the specific symptoms, that being successful receipt of msg for non AOL clients and no receipt of message for AOL client. Anything else you could suggest or do will be appreciated.

I will continue to search for symptoms and solutions at my end.

Thank you again.

DThomas

Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 11:30am
I suggest you to make SMTP working. First, try to configure an email client application to use SMTP of your provider (or anyone else). When it works and AOL receives your messages, use the same parameters in OE.

I don't know what can be possiblty changed for AOL, there's nothing special about messages. Try to find a simple PHP mail test script, create a .php file with it and upload with FileZilla + test. Code example:

<?php
var_dump(mail('address@aol.com', 'Test Mail', 'Test message'));
// you may need to add headers too, but try like this first

Have a nice day
D
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 12:34pm
I will follow your suggestion. If I find specifics or if SMTP works i will share with forum.

Many Thanks...

DThomas
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 5:37pm
If the "manual" mail sends messages but nothing gets to AOL (while arriving to some other mailboxes), it is not related to OE but to your hosting configuration and/or sender address that should be.. ? something AOL accepts according to its dark internal reasons? ..
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 8:52pm
D,

Thx for the thoughts. I suspect it is the latter of your list, namely "something AOL accepts according to its dark internal reasons?"

However, until the actual problem is determined.... ?

I am kinda stub testing ( there's an old phrase - shows my years) anyway, i created a email acct in fatcow (my hosting provider) that will be the recipient. It is configured to forward any message rvcd to the AOL email adrs.

I used "mail" in the Email Form configuration to keep things simple for now. the message was received at the email addrs in fatcow but will have to wait until Monday when person is at office to check the AOL account.

I executed the same this time with and auto-response msg, I don not know where the respond msg will go since it is sent from the hosting service, I think.

FYI I tried to create a AOL acct to use for testing. I personally do not have texting capability on my cell phone - too much unwanted msgs and abuse. I can live w/o it.
The online dialog to create a AOL account asks for a cell phone number but does not explain why at first. I entered a land line number, submitted thte form and that is when it echoed someting the effect "a security code has be texted to your cell phone. It is needed to continue the registration"
It did not work, of course.

I called AOL support and was told the texting capable cell phone is mandatory to create a email account. Several times i called and spoke with different people. All, in as much, stated the same.
That means AOL does not see value in email accts for people that will not provide a texting cell phone number. I read the agreement and it implied contacting via provided means may happen. This suggests that AOL is an abuser of people's cell phone number for obvioius reasons.
Thought it interesting.

DThomas
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 10:23pm
Do you manage to receive messages sent by OE's Send Email directly to this new email address at fatcow?
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2016 at 11:43pm
D,

Yes. The msg was received from OE site to fatcow email address.

Monday i will hear from the customer re AOL account receipt of same msg that was forwarded from the fatcow account. I will let you know.

Thx,

Dthomas
dthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2016 at 12:56am
i do not know if i provided the following, it may be helpful.

the AOL email address worked at the same website hosting svc at same atulocal1342.org url up to 12/31/15 in Front Page - 1/2/16 i implemented the OE version  by redirecting to /oe/ directory in atulocal1342.org.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic