BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do I make a resize-able div in my base layer?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do I make a resize-able div in my base layer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I make a resize-able div in my base layer?
    Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 1:38am
Hi,

I am new to open element and not very experienced in web-design, but I have built several websites in the past using Dreamweaver CS3. I just upgraded to a new Windows 10 computer and found that I could no longer activate my Dreamweaver CS3 so I decided to try something new versus paying adobe monthly forever to get a new version of Dreamweaver. I started looking at options and found open element which is awesome, but I am having difficulty figuring out some of the basics, wish there was a book I could buy? 

So, I am trying to build a template (base layer) to build my website with. My layout is simple, a header section on top that has a logo and menu bar which I seem to have to have figured out pretty well, it resizes nicely and seems to work pretty well. Below the header I want to have a single container to put my page content into, and at the bottom of the page a simple footer with a few menu button links in it.

So the part I can't seem to figure out is how to make a main content box that is flexible in height so that the height of my page adjusts to the height of the items that I put in the content box. I can put a photo in the content box, make the width of the photo 100% so it fills the width of the box and the height of the photo also changes proportionally as it should, but the bottom of the photo covers the footer (bottom menu) so it is not visible in the browser when the page is viewed. How do I make the content box expand in height so that the photo stays within the box so the footer is visible?

I am hoping it is something simple? Is there a tutorial or something someone can point me to so that I can figure out the settings required to make my content box flexible in height. You would think that setting the height to "auto" in the "Dimensions" settings would do it, but there has to be a detail I am missing.

Thank you,
Brent Bowman
Brent B
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 2:53am
Hi,

Open your base layer

Page tab, Responsive, select 100% width

Page tab, Responsive, select page sections

Main tab, Position Relative

Your menu can be built on this page

Open a blank page

link your base layer

Add a group of elements 

Size

Width: 100% or less
Height Auto

Behavior

Positioning: relative

Every element added in this group of elements will resize it.

Edited by Hobby001 - Apr 16 2020 at 10:13pm
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 2:58am
If you happend to understand french, there are some good tutorials here: 

http://forum.openelement.com/fr/forum_posts.asp?TID=20090&title=les-tutos-de-larsne

But even if you dont there are some videos that shows how to use OE with these tutos

Brent B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2020 at 5:10am
Thank you,

It worked and I really appreciate the help. Hopefully I am close to having a workable template page to start building my new site with. I don't speak french, but I will check out the french tutorials tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Brent Bowman
Brent B
hkgleung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hkgleung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2020 at 5:38pm
Hi, I am a new learner. I have followed the instructions you told Brent Bowman a month ago. The main page is fine, all the texts and images are fit into responsive mode. The other page I want to have different background colour, but it only got half of the page of colour I want, the bottom page is till the colour of the base layer. And I also have a problem with the Text input fields, all the fields sticked together.  Please help. 
Hobby001 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobby001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2020 at 4:50pm
You should open a new subject and make sure the title is relevant.

The page background color covers the page length.

To ensure that the page allways fill the screen, 

select the page icon in the Element Explorer
Under the element Style tab on the right side, select customize
In Min Height, use 100vh (vh stands for viewport height)

You won't see the effect in OE but wherever else you open the page, it wll fill the screen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic