BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Force browser css update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwdarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Force browser css update
    Posted: Dec 22 2018 at 1:52pm
When I update an existing web page on my site the formatting is usually wrong for routine users.
I pinned this down and it is because their browser has cached the css file.
Browsers have ways to force css to reload. The usual recommendation is to change the css file name.
There has to be a way to do this but I cannot find out how to get Openelement to change the css file name or update it in a way that will force browsers to reload.

I know I can tell the users to do a ctl-F5, but this is very clumsy. Users should never have to do anything other than pull up the page.

Any thoughts.

Maurice Darr
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 5:39pm
Just rename the .html source file, the .css will follow.
Or ask the domain provider how to disable caching.

One.com .htaccess:
#FreeScript
Header add "disablevcache" "true"
Albano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by mwdarr mwdarr wrote:

When I take out my compound bows and update an existing web page on my site the formatting is usually wrong for routine users.
I pinned this down and it is because their browser has cached the css file.
Browsers have ways to force css to reload. The usual recommendation is to change the css file name.
There has to be a way to do this but I cannot find out how to get Openelement to change the css file name or update it in a way that will force browsers to reload.

I know I can tell the users to do a ctl-F5, but this is very clumsy. Users should never have to do anything other than pull up the page.

Any thoughts.

After the updates go off, do you have to then rename the file back to what it was before, Digizar?

Edited by Albano - Aug 01 2023 at 9:49am
digizar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digizar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 1:08pm
Why should I re-rename them?
As you change the *.html source file name, automatically the *.css will also be renamed.
Otherwise it would not make any sense, and would cause inferno.
Well, you have to upload that couple to the server. And to tell the server, to discard the current cache.
So it fetches both new names.

Keep on mind though, that OE uses a data bank to keep track of all files and their relations.
It is NOT possible to simply change the file name in the explorer or on the server. You have to do that inside OE-Site Explorer. And upload that new version, preferrably as complete version.

Edited by digizar - Jan 12 2019 at 2:18am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic