BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Suggestion Box
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for OE development

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for OE development
    Posted: May 11 2013 at 4:17pm
Dmit and Chris,

These are my suggestions, just correct me if some of the suggestions I had posted are already existing.

1. Ruler - measurement set in pixels
2. Grid on the page for easy placement of elements
3. Snap to grid and snap to object
4. import html pages (example slice images in an HTML document)
5. The ability to name html elements (html id)
6. Shortcut keys for the tools and functions
7. CSS3 - rounded, gradient, rotated rectangles
8. The ability to set page size examples: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720 
   or to adjust the width of the page
9. The ability to set DTD (Document Type Declaration)
10. HTML5 tags implementation: example header tag, footer tag etc
11. Relative CSS positioning of all elements (not just the container tag) for accomodating expanding pages from dynamic content such as blogs and any embedabble cms like Cutenews.
On absolute positioning, dynamic contents will cause some elements to overlap. 
12. The ability to insert raw markup in an element i,e., before tag, inside tag and after tag
13. The ability to edit the html source of a project inside OE

I'll be posting more soon.

Cheers,
Rommel
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 9:45pm
Rommel,

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.  We don't like to say no to anything, so I've given as much detail as possible for the things that we don't offer at the moment.  

Green means it's in development or already exists.
Blue means we're looking into it.
Orange means there may be (now or later) alternative ways to perform those actions in openElement

1. Ruler - measurement set in pixels
This feature is in development
2. Grid on the page for easy placement of elements
Related to #1, this is possible and in development
3. Snap to grid and snap to object
This will be explored, along with items 1 and 2
4. import html pages (example slice images in an HTML document)
In order for us to deliver on the promise of quality and reliability, openElement can only edit pages that were created with the software. We encourage users to use the resources from an existing site (images, content, etc) and rebuild it using openElement, optimizing time and quality in the process. Meanwhile, HTML content can be imported, so to speak, with the Code Block element or iframes.
5. The ability to name html elements (html id)
We're looking into the best way of doing this without compromising website architecture. openElement builds and uses a map of each element's relationship to each other and its page or layer. It is currently more efficient to have oE generate and manage unique IDs (you can name the elements anything you want for reference within oE).
6. Shortcut keys for the tools and functions
Definitely. Feel free to suggest shortcuts that would make your process easier.
7. CSS3 - rounded, gradient, rotated rectangles
Yes. There are some CSS3 features available in the Styles Menu (tab on the right of editing pane), under Customize: rotation, rounded angles, shadow gradient. The plan is to continually develop and release new elements and features. 
8. The ability to set page size examples: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720 
   or to adjust the width of the page
Page size pre-sets are definitely a possibility. In the meantime, you can set the size of a page and turn it into a template to reuse as needed.

9. The ability to set DTD (Document Type Declaration)
This may be difficult to implement, and would have to be regulated to guarantee functionality for all users.
10. HTML5 tags implementation: example header tag, footer tag etc
We will continue to develop and release elements as needed. If you have source code for HTML/CSS/javascript/jQuery elements you would like to see and feel others could benefit from, feel free to submit them. 
11. Relative CSS positioning of all elements (not just the container tag) for accomodating expanding pages from dynamic content such as blogs and any embedabble cms like Cutenews.
On absolute positioning, dynamic contents will cause some elements to overlap. 
We are currently developing a database editor that will give users more control over content management. We will ensure that any modules developed for it will function and display correctly and reliably. While the door is not closed on relative positioning, it may compromise the ability to control the exact placement of elements. openElement's main goal is to provide a powerful and reliable tool for designing websites visually and generating code that is solid and predictable. If we can offer relative positioning AND guarantee the desired layout, we will certainly offer it to our users.
12. The ability to insert raw markup in an element i,e., before tag, inside tag and after tag
We are exploring ways to let users add custom markup to elements. If you feel an element is missing a feature or should have different options, feel free to suggest.
13. The ability to edit the html source of a project inside OE
Custom HTML can be added and edited with the Code Block or Hidden Code Block elements. Pages can also be exported and edited externally, but the changes will be undone if the project is reopened and saved with openElement. openElement is designed to provide a framework in which users can design and publish websites to their exact needs and wants through a graphical interface. As such, the code that is generated is very specific and tailored to the physical content and layout of the page. To edit the source could compromise the stability and reliability of what the software promises to deliver. 

Again, we don't say no to anything, but some features would actually detract from the strengths of the software. Our aim to continue to improve openElement and make it a competent and efficient development platform that saves users time and resources. If you would like to see a new element or an existing element with new features, please make suggestions. This software is built for people like you, and we will do everything we can to make website creation the creative and streamlined process it should be. 
lord_cpx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lord_cpx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 1:24pm
Hi people, here are a few suggestions:

- The possibility of creating groups of elements (so we can move them easier)

- To make any page already created as my homepage

Thanks
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by lord_cpx lord_cpx wrote:

- The possibility of creating groups of elements (so we can move them easier)

You can use container elements and put multiple elements inside and move them all together.  But, we are also developing an easy way to group and move elements.

- To make any page already created as my homepage

We'll look into this as well.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 9:53am

Hi people, here are a few suggestions:- To make any page already created as my homepage

Also, a relatively easy way is to turn the page in question into a Template, then make your homepage "inherit" it.

Best wishes
D
tibfromhun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibfromhun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 11:00am
Dmit and Chris,

my suggestions:
  • more global configuration options. e.g. main default project directory enter option, also new project location.
  • editable source editor, search capability in popup menu, ctrl+F
  • external jquery plugins useful, like image gallery now or more media plugin (menu, image gallery, slider, etc)
  • more configuration options e.g. image gallery thumbnail position, etc..
  • more, modern form elements, e.g. checklistbox, etc.

That's all, I like this program very formative for me and good luck!

Best wishes
tib

Edited by Dmit OE - Jun 13 2013 at 12:11pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 11:09am
Hi, and thank you for suggestions! Some are rather interesting indeed.

I'd like to clarify:

> script insertion is possible between two elements
I believe it is not possible to do this with "Code Block" element? It depends on what exactly you mean.

Good day
D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibfromhun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2013 at 12:07pm
Hi,

but yes! I was stupid, sorry!!!Ermm Disapprove

tib

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tibfromhun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2013 at 10:26am
Dmit and Chris,

Make changes to your wishlist :)

does not have to be edited in the "source" if the code block more comfortable.

1. you can search it.
  2. element can be connected to mouse events (js to write to!) (now only set css mouse events)

best regards
tib
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 10:14pm
Hi everyone,

I'd like to encourage the posters in this thread to visit the OE Crowdfunding platform: https://users.openelement.com/openElement/Crowdfunding/Project/ListActif.aspx?UICulture=en

Here you can propose specific projects that will help advance the evolution of openElement. By proposing a new project or supporting an existing project, you can directly influence the development of new features.

And to discuss Crowdfunding projects, please visit the dedicated section on this forum: http://forum.openelement.com/en/forum_topics.asp?FID=29&title=openelement-crowdfunding

Thanks!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic