BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> Websites Created with OpenElement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old site overhaul using OE 1.57 R9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old site overhaul using OE 1.57 R9
    Posted: Feb 01 2018 at 4:34pm
Re-designing my 1998 old static site with OE.  I'm learning OE fast but one glitch has come up. The page you see here www.taowriter5000.com is temporary- done with OE.  My old site has a master index that runs everything of course. Its a really messy file manager, tons of support files, pics, pdfs, htmls. I know its time to clean up my organization disciplines. So when I set up the new index page with OE, I do see all the support files that make it work.  BUT..when I go to upload it to my server, I'm not clear on how the new index file-embeded in the OE filed hierarchy- will REPLACE the old index. Do I break up the files I saved to folder on my desktop and FTP each one up separately, or do I ship up the whole project to file manager with Filezilla?   Wonderful program and really nice sites you all have created with OE.  Mike
Mike
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2018 at 8:46pm
Hi,

I suggest you use Project -> Export to Folder to see what exactly is published, then you can decide whether you publish it manually or you let OE upload automatically. Whatever you choose, always keep backup copies.
MTMals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2018 at 9:23pm
Thanks. I've been successful with publishing from folder but as software like OE has become more complex manual is less accurate so I hope for successful uploads from OE..I note that one attempt to do that placed an index.htm from OE right next to my index.html. do I need to make the htm the operative index?
Mike
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2018 at 7:41am
You need to make sure that it's index.htm that's loaded by default; either by redirects or by server settings or by renaming the old .html homepage.
MTMals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 1:05pm
Finally success in uploading my openElement design to my server. Just shoving the files from local folder to my File Manager, finding the index.htm then testing the upload on Firefox (using the index.htm) didn't work.(all I got was the copy)  What worked was creating a folder in File Manager- I called it 'openElement'and then moving all of the files from local openElement-save to folder-folder-to the new server folder.  To bring it up, I  typed in the long new address http://www.taowriter5000.com/openElement/Taowriter5000 Redesign Project_Upload (6)/index.htm   Bingo.  So now I have two working index files and home pages- one, the old static style www.taowriter5000.com/index.html  and the openElement folder above. Conventional wisdom cautions against breaking the old link sauce with a new URL so not sure how to proceed.  Any suggestions much appreciated.   Mike (P.S. This design is temporary while I create the new site on openElement.) (Also note: several articles state that there is no difference between htm and html  in the 'eye' of the server and browser. Either serves the index function.)
Mike
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 12:30pm
Yes but usually they search first for .html and, if they don't find it, for .htm, unless you configure otherwise or make a redirection (e.g. in .htaccess)
Make sure your website works, then you can see how you replace the old website. If it's important to not lose SEO it may get more complicated
MTMals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 04 2018 at 8:31pm
Thanks Dimit OE,  your mention of .htacces piqued my interest. I'm holding on tight to the old index.html.  As I note, I now have two home pages in the file manager. One is the active older static page.  The other is in the openElement folder...same temporary design but done with openElement.

I can't get the new openElement design to be THE site that comes up.  I even set up identical folders in File Manager to what I see in the Publish-to-folder popup then saved each item on the list to THOSE folders using Filezilla. Replaced the old index.html with the new openElement index.htm and got a scrambled page.   The page that comes up in the openElement folder is perfect. http://www.taowriter5000.com/openElement/New_Tao_Home/  I even considered a redirect but need to read up on it.

Working with the problem. I know there is a solution.  Thanks for your comment.   Mike

Mike
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2018 at 1:15pm
You can check whether you have "conflicting" files - same files or folders between old and new site. If not, you can try to put the new site at the same location as the old one; then check on the Web how to redirect an URL to your site (domain) to your .htm page, so that it's not the .html page that gets opened by defauklt (while it will still be accessible by a direct link).

Or, you can put OE site into a subfolder and assign a subdomain to this subfolder, ex. new.taowriter5000.com.
MTMals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 6:41pm
Thanks Dmit OE:  Your second option is closer to what Ive done. I'll explore how to make that the default index. (sub-domain is  a good clue)Sometiing's screwy about the OE index file. That url should have an ....index.htm ending and it doesn't. Its straight out of openElement.   I just went into that index in the openElement folder in file Manager. It doesn't look like the well organized hierarchy I'm used to seeing.  Its just a big block of code.  Is that standard for the new software?  Anyway thanks, I'm calling Yahoo this afternoon to see if I can get an assist in activation the newer home page index.  Struggle makes us stronger.    Mike
Mike
MTMals View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 2:16am
Thanks for all of your feedback. I created a hypertext on the old index as an option so the viewer could observe progress on the new openElement site build. Done. So now I'll start adding pages most to least important. Gona take several months! So thanks apgain..Mike [URL="www.taowriter5000.com"[/URL]. (Next hurdle is designing in responsiveness...)

Also Bravo12...okay on Filezilla...it's worked well for me updating the old site. I'm having problem using OE publish as my Yahoo/Abaco server reject my settings in OE.  So I publish to file and fall back on Filezilla..still looking for settings that work on OE publish.Confused

Edited by MTMals - Feb 08 2018 at 2:34am
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic