BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Website Publishing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alimcfad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Website Publishing
    Posted: Apr 28 2017 at 3:28pm
Hi everyone!  I apologize for what is probably a very silly question but I am having difficulties publishing my website.  I am very, very new to this so I hope this makes sense.

I am using freehosting.com for my hosting and have my domain name through GoDaddy.  I updated the nameservers with GoDaddy according to the freehosting.com requirements.  I also entered my cPanel login details from openElement into freehosting.com.  However, I am only able to see the file listing and message noted below.  It asks me to delete the index.php file from the public_html folder but I don't see this folder.  

HELP! Please!  I'm not sure where to go from here.

Best,

Ali
[Edit: image removed]

Edited by Dmit OE - May 18 2017 at 10:49pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2017 at 7:39pm
This link works: http://www.alimcfadzen.com/index.htm

It means that your hosting does not comsider "index.htm" as a default page. Either find somewhere settings to fix it, or make a redirection (using .htaccess or manually created index.html page). If you don't manage to, let us know.
alimcfad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alimcfad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2017 at 8:02pm
Thank you Dmit OE!  I set up a redirect for the moment until I can figure out how to make it work correctly!
redwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 9:09pm
I have my website up and running and published it to my server.
The index file works fine, but the other links to the pages just do not show up. In some cases my old server files show up.
The error message I get is this. The requested URL / was not found on this server.
Now I have checked my files on the server and they are all there, but not showing up live.

website is http://betw-y-coed.net

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Thanks.
Colin.
C Steele-Perkins
redwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 9:12pm
Hello Alim
Your photography on your site is excellent.
Was it easy to use the carousel in Open Element.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Colin.
C Steele-Perkins
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 9:28pm
When I try the link, I recieve the error "this site is not accessible". Could you plrease check?
redwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:00pm
Sorry I nissed out a character.
http://betws-y-coed.net

I did discover one thing and that was if I took off the l on the html file extension one page worked

ie http://betws-y-coed.net/accommodation.htm.
The main index file is http://betws-y-coed.net/index.htm. It usually has the full html for an index page.
Puzzling?

Colin.
C Steele-Perkins
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2017 at 10:31pm
I imagine you have changes the code manually directly inside the htm file? And/or did some redirections htm/html. You should fix it until it works correctly. The htm pages are there, you shoudl just redirect to them properly. If you just need the homepage to open on website (domain) URL, it's not the html=>htm redirection you need.
redwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 7:38pm
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
I did some changes from upper case to lower case in the named links on my ftp programme not the inbuilt one.
How can I redirect the htm pages . Still new to this software.
There seems to be no way to save the individual files in the programme .
Would love it to work properly with redirection but how please??
Colin.
C Steele-Perkins
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2017 at 8:42pm
Why do you need to redirect htm pages?

If you have old links you want to keep operational, for example you had a page product.html which now corresponds to product.htm, you should make a redirect from product.html to product.htm.

If your created pages with corresponding mames (but .htm extention), you can add this via Project->Htaccess->Add->Free script:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^(.*)\.html$ $1.htm [R=permanent]
RewriteRule ^/?$ index.htm [L,R=permanent]

This redirects each page xxxx.html to xxxxx.htm, and the website root (just website URL) to index.htm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic