BullGuard Antivirus Sale - 60% Off with openElement !
Forum Home Forum Home >

openElement

> openElement General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Open Element is very promising

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Element is very promising
    Posted: May 08 2013 at 5:06pm
Hi,

I just discovered Open Element and I was very impressed with all the features it offers. Also I would like to thank the author for his generosity for offering it free. I am still in the process in unraveling the features of this wonderful application/software so I will be visiting this forum often.

My questions:
1. How old is this product? Is it stable for productivity use?
2. Does it support CSS relative positioning or will this feature be available in the near future?
3. Open Element is a bit slow in my computer, I am using Windows XP, Pentium 4, 3.0 Gigaherts with 1GB or ram. are my resources lacking? I mean what are the system and hardware requirements for Open Element?

I'm looking forward to the development of this application as it is very promising indeed. More power to the author!Smile

Edited by Rommel - May 08 2013 at 5:08pm
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2013 at 7:38pm

Hi, and thank you very much for your post.

openElement is there for a while (much longer that I am in the team, but as speak English I took the liberty of answering this post), and there's its predecessor which is there for quite a while. But it was only available in French, until very recently (you can compare the figures of French version of this forum).

At the moment we are about to finalize the first stage with database/data management engine, to make OE able to handle rather complex tasks.

1) The current official version is rather stable, except a couple of bugs; we will release new version in several days or weeks. There are many sites (in France) done with openElement, by both debutants (who don't always know how to spell HTML, as they themselves admit) and professionals (who do,
but prefer to not redo same coding for repetitive tasks).

2) There's a limited support of relative positioning inside containers. We will need more of it with DB support and dynamic content, so there will be some efforts done. In case of need, you can use Block of code and Masked block of code to insert your "manual" html/js/php/css code. But the principle of openElement is that you place what you want where you want and it stays there, WYSIWYG-way.

3) How many elements do your pages contain? Our last versions are relatively optimized (are you using 1.34?) You can try to re-download and reinstall openElement, sometimes it happens that a faulty installation provokes unexpected problems, we've seen performance problems that disappear after reinstalling OE.

We are doing our best to keep openElement growing and completely free, and we deeply appreciate all the help from the users, especially for English version.

Sincerely
D

Rommel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 5:57am
Dmit,

Thank you for quick reply.

Testing Open Element, it made me felt like creating webpages/websites is very easy due to its drag and drop WYSIWYG nature. But I'm more excited in your plans on database/data management for OE.  I do sometimes insert dynamic content like blog, news article, online photo gallery using PHP scripts which I embedded on ordinary php pages that is why I firmly believe that RELATIVE CSS POSITIONING of elements is very valuable. I am grateful that you have an open mind on this possible feature which I hope will be available in the coming versions of OE. Please consider it.Smile

Regarding performance, I am using the latest version (1.34). I am still in the process in testing the program. What I am experiencing is that there are some delay issues in the responsiveness of the program like for example in dragging some elements on the canvas/working. I will let you know about it, I am not sure if it is a hardware issue or small memory/ram resource.

More power to the OE team,

Cheers,
Rommel

Edited by Rommel - May 09 2013 at 6:06am
Dmit OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmit OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2013 at 9:05am
For CSS positioning available already, you can try:

1) Element Multi-line Text (you can copy-paste html-formatted text, ex from a browser or MsWord, though some of the tags are "filtered out").

2) Container "Group of elements" - set the property Positioning to "Relative", and experiment with Style->Personnalization of elements you put inside it (when something does not work as expected, don't hesitate to add "!important" to a css property). It should not be very practical but it may be suitable for some specific tasks.

Have a good day
D
Chris OE View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris OE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 7:32am
Thank you very much for your message!  We're very excited about the development of the software.  The future holds great things for openElement.  You'll want to stick around!

I think Dmit answered most of your questions, but here's a brief summary.

1) oE has been in development for a few 2 years, but this is the big English release.  
2) As D said, relative positioning is available in "Group of Elements." Go to the Properties tab on the right-hand-side and change Positioning to Relative.  Feel free to share your experience with this feature.
3) oE may run slower than normal if the website you're working on has very complex pages.  If it's running slow out of the box, try reinstalling the latest version.  If it's still slow, it may be the hardware.

Thanks again for your great comments.  If you like the software, you can help us get the word out by sharing out website on social media, or by leaving a review on one of the big download sites like download.com.  And don't forget to keep using the forum for any questions or if you want to share tip with others!  We're very grassroots around here!  Every little bit helps.
Rommel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:51pm
Chris,

Hi. Yes i'll be staying here for sure. I have checked the french forum and have seen some of the sites created by the users... very impressive. OE is young yet shows tremendous potential. On the relative positioning issue, it would very useful if every element can be set to relative positioning instead of absolute only. As OE is moving to the direction of Databases integration and management, this feature or capability will be very useful. 

I have downloaded the latest version (1.35) and it seems to be running fine on my system than the previous one.

I'll be posting some suggestions soon regarding this beautiful program.

Cheers,
Rommel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic